What does it mean when they say a woman almost died giving birth because she bled too much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It means her uterus bled a lot and it didn't start contracting back to it's normal size. Therefore, she was losing way more blood than normal before they got it stopped.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:52 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• idk. i lost so much that i passed out 3 times, but i did not come close to dying. my placenta did not detach.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:52 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• It's my understanding that if the umbilical cord is cut too early, a lot of blood is left in the placenta and many women have a more difficult time delivering the placenta... Not sure otherwise where the blood would come from unless there were complications like a "C" section or ripping / an episiotimy (sp?)
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 11:56 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• hemmoraging (sp) out
    tharealty2

Answer by tharealty2 at 11:58 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• After delivery your uterine muscles have to contract and stop the blood vessles from bleeding....if the uterus doesn't contract on its own, you cpuld bleed to death.But it is rare and they usually do a hysterectomy to stop the bleeding and save the mother's life.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:00 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• There are several places that blood can come from during a birth. The most common is the uterus, when it doesn't contract down to clamp off the exposed blood vessels that the placenta leaves when it detatches from the uterine wall. Next is if the umbilical cord is cut without being clamped, then mom's heart is pumping blood right out the end of the cord (and baby's heart is doing the same). The next is the cervix, which can sometimes tear and cause a hemorrhage. Last is other tissues, the muscles, fat, etc during a C-section.

There is a lot of hype about blood loss during birth, but if you birth without the use of Pitocin (which has a side effect of causing torrential hemorrhages), leave the umbilical cord intact until it stops pulsating (and then clamp it before it's cut) and get baby to the breast right away (which helps the uterus contract) then it's rarely a problem.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:03 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Actually, they can give medicine to help stop the bleeding. They will try it first before a hysterectomy. If we would eat part of the placenta, that will aid in stopping the bleeding as well, but, most ladies wouldn't do that.

The blood comes from the uterus where the placenta pulled away from the walls. After you deliver the placenta, you are essentially a big gaping wound on the inside. That is the reason you have to wait 6 weeks to heal.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:05 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• In addition to what Ati said, you can have an increased risk of blood loss if you have anemia or low iron, which are common problems. They often take blood when you arrive at the hospital to test your blood cell and iron levels (a test called a Complete Blood Count, or CBC). This was a problem for me, and I had a lot of blood loss post c-section. Fortunately, I didn't need a hysterectomy or a blood transfusion.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:10 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I lost too much blood during my delivery and I did almost die. I hemmoraged because my uterus hyperstimulated. I could hear the blood pouring onto the floor. My blood pressure dropped dangerously low. At once point it was recored as 45/21. My heart rate also slowed a lot. I had to have 2 blood transfusions as well as a load of other medications. I couldn't stay awake. I was coming in and out. I honest to God thought, "Ok this is it. I'm dying. I'm never going to see my baby or my husband again." It was the single most terrifying moment of my life. I still can't watch the video from my daughter in the warmer because I'm screaming in the back ground. It was extremely traumatic.

I was uneducated about inductions at the time and had cytotec and pitocin together which caused the hyperstimulation. Now I'm an advocate for safe, natural birth.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 3:24 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• It is usually due to either retained palcenta or to the uterus not contracting back after the birth, it causes a post partum heammorage. Drugs can be given at birth to help delivery of the placenta which decreases the chance of this happening. Thanks to advances in medical technology it is rare these days to lose a mother to this problem but it does unfortunately happen.
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 5:02 AM on Nov. 12, 2010