Okay so i'm so happy about this new job I found out about today but I have some concerns!

I have to move and my boss is paying for me to move i'll be a property manager of a mema cabin park. Now my worries are that I have some problems with spelling and I don't want to look stupid What can I do to better my spelling fast?

jessesmama22

Asked by jessesmama22 at 11:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• No one needs to spell good these days. Use spell checker for everything. Type everything into MS word or your email and spell check it. Some people just aren't good at spelling and most people understand that. As long as you aren't writing like this...Wat u say? She wuz lookn the otha way? Dat, U, B. Blah blah blah....That really bugs me!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:04 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Spell check is a marvelous thing. Do as much as you can in Microsoft Word or similar programs that offer a spell checker. And proof read everything. Read it out loud. It can help you find problems.

Try to read newspapers, newspaper sites and magazines as much as possible. Reading is essential to developing writing skills. And I suggest professional sites over blogs and social media because the latter two are usually fraught with spelling errors.

Another writer's trick: If you're not certain about the spelling or use of a particular word, find another word. I know that misspell is one of my problem words, so I phrased the paragraph above differently to avoid the word.

One more thing: http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/misspelled.html

That site might help.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:07 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• if you get google chrome, which is like internet explorer, while you're online, it will underline every misspelled word....it's great!!!
    Also any Microsoft program will spell check as well.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:10 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• There is a really good dictionary of real estate terms that I bought at Barnes and Noble, it's called "Dictionary of Real Estate Terms"... go figure. Otherwise, I would just get a really good regular dictionary and look up every word you need as you go. Remember though to look up anything you don't know. That will get you into a very good habit.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:12 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• One other thing now that I've read your initial post about his job. Punctuation seems to be more of an issue in your writing than spelling. Here's an edit of what you wote above:

I have to move and my boss is paying for me to move. I'll be a property manager of a mema cabin park. Now my worries are that I have some problems with spelling and I don't want to look stupid. What can I do to better my spelling fast?

I marked the punctuation issues in red. Not bad, really.A little confidence will go a long way!

What's a mema trailer park, by the way?

Answer by gdiamante at 12:19 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Well i'm from Mississippi and after Katrina hit us fema made mema trailers but we call them mema cabins.
    jessesmama22

Comment by jessesmama22 (original poster) at 12:26 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I agree with one of the posters. Buy a dictionary and use it. My kids can't spell and use me like a dictionary. I don't know what they are going to do when they get older. Do the best you can. Good luck with you new position. I'm sure you will be fine.
    3mom627

Answer by 3mom627 at 12:44 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Well, while I agree that spell check is a wonderful tool, I still say it is important in life to have a good grasp of spelling. They have hand held spell checkers, and they include games to improve your spelling and vocabulary. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:40 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• First, you can't rely on just spell check. There are commonly misused words, for example, people who use dose for does and your for you're, that wouldn't be caught by spell check because they are spelt correctly. Invest in a good dictionary and a thesaurus and you might also want to find a book on simple grammar. That way if you have letters to compose, they'll have all the tools you need.

HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:46 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I had a friend that was a bad speller. I went to the dollar store and got some elementary school age spelling books, and helped her learn that way. You can get them from PreK to about 8th grade .. and there are also workbooks you can get from the library and on line stores for older folks. You can also check to see if your community has an adult literacy program that might work with you. A local church may be able to point you in the right direction.

And HotMama330 is right about spell check .. it won't cath the examples she stated.
    Good luck!
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 9:57 PM on Nov. 12, 2010