Anyone else depressed due to not being able to find a job?

I recently was downsized from being a teacher's aide. I have more than 30 years of clerical experience and thought I would try finding a clerical position. I can't seem to find any work, not even temporary. I am depressed from being at home, I am eating all the candy and cookies in sight and getting more depressed as time goes on.

3mom627

Asked by 3mom627 at 12:14 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• No. Because it's not you. Competition is so stiff for existing jobs, it's expected nowadays that it will take a long time to find something. There are a lot of people in the same boat as you. What's important is that you don't give up.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:41 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I was depressed for a long time and not working was one of the reasons. I got a job on base that I start at the end of the month and I am happy as can be. Staying at home is not for everybody. Find a way to stay busy until you find one. Trust me that it is easier said than done though. Good luck!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:19 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• DH is. He's been out of work for over a year and he keeps getting rejected. It's really taking it's toll on him.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:23 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I was out of work for tweo years after being downsized. Having been solid in the work force for 20 years I thought there was no way I wouldn't find another job right away. The the recession set in and that was all she wrote. Depression hit hard and fast. After about a month of not even getting a nibble on my resume, I had about had it. I took whatever I could find, temp, seasonal (and this is a great time for that.....everyone needs extra holiday help). I was terribly overqualified for most of it, but it was some sort of income. When my unemployment ran out, my depression was massive! I'm not used to being a week away from being homeless! But I kept at it, posting my resume everywhere.....Monster.com, Careerbuilder.com, Linkedin.com, etc....and it finally paid off, a friend of a friend knew I was looking and gave me a great lead. Don't be ashamed to tell everyone you know that you are looking...you never know what can happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Welcome to the club. I have not worked in 15 years. Even the temp agency is blowing me off. I give up. Really , I used to work on Wall Street so been there. But the attitude is so negative...GL momma.I feel for you.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 12:23 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• No, I would be depressed if I had to try to find one. I love being at home too much to give it up. Hope you find something for you soon!
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 12:31 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I have been putting in apps. everywhere, including fast food. Nothing yet though. I just need something part time, to get me out while kids are at school. No luck yet. Yes, if you let it get to you it can get bad.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:08 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Yes, I have been there and husband too. Very depressing. I found my two part time jobs at www.care.com and www.sittercity.com. You might want to check them out. The closer you are to a city the more jobs are posted. Look at all the categories especially at care.com. Use the pulldowns and search by zipcode. Best wishes to you!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:03 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Yes for sure!! So much so here.. My DH lost his job he was at for over 24+ years. He lost it 23 months ago & our insurance. My married DD's lost their Jobs too! 2 places they worked at Closed down. My Son in law with the 3 small children also lost his job. That Job has been near here since the 1800's & is Going To Mexico. And I'm Battling Triple Negative Breast cancer. My poor car needs so much work and Gas and I need to get to the Hospital every M-F. Life is overwhelming, sad, I am hopeless and useless. I used to run a Antique Shop for over 12+ years. Not for pay. But for the joys. Even though it barely had heat. Never A/C or any plumbing. I'm let go.. All thanks' to my Cancer. I've had every bad thing possible go wrong over and over ALL year long!! I so wish everyone that needs a Job to find the one of their Dreams! One that you Enjoy!! One where you're well respected and appreciated. Good Luck in all that you do.
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 10:39 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My hubby is... he's a Log Home Contractor... Work is so slow.. He's been out of work a few months now. :(
    LuLuMama_4Jesus

Answer by LuLuMama_4Jesus at 10:49 AM on Nov. 12, 2010