At what age do you stop breastfeeding ?

I'm considering bf my next child and I would just like to know the average age that you would stop.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think 2 is "average" but really it's all about what works for you. I stopped with my oldest around a year or 13 months because he was so big and I was VERY pregnant with number 2 so nursing him was painful. But with number 2 he weaned himself around 2 years... With this one, I'll most likely nurse about 2 years, but I'm also planning on using formula part time as well...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:19 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I know many who stop at one, many who try for two...I'm going for 18mos. I'm slowly weaning over the next six months, but I wouldn't mind keeping night feedings...just depends on how weaning goes.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:19 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I breastfed until 6 months. Everyone is different. It's just for however long the mother and baby in question wish to breastfeed.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:19 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Whenever the baby is ready to stop. For me that has been some time after the next baby has been born and is nursing very frequently. Then they like to snuggle with me and the nursing newborn, and seem happy to let the baby nurse all of the time, and cut back on nursing themselves. Mine have usually stopped completely when they talk so much (we have real chatterboxes for children) that they keep delatching to talk!
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 12:20 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My goal was always to make it to a year...it isn't always that easy, you'll need support to be succesful.
    My first I got no help and only made it 2 weeks.
    My second I made it to 9 months before he preferred his soy formula that I was supplementing with because I could never pump enough.
    My third I made it 18 months...by then I was done she would take nothing but me and if I ever wanted to get a break for more than a few hours I had to wean her.
    In the US the average is 6 months (I believe) world wide is 3 yrs. I think 1yr-18 months is perfect.
    Duckylicious

Answer by Duckylicious at 12:21 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I stopped when my son and daughter were two. I tandem nursed them. Well sort of because she just emptied what my son would not finish and I never could nurse them at the same time because their sucking was different and it felt weird. I weaned her and after my son turned 2 he stopped because I was slowly weaning him and my milk dried up.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:21 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I stopped at 3 1/2mos due to medical reasons... But I wanted to go until two and if I could pump for another year.
    It really depends on the person though. You'll know when it's time.
    mrssummerlin

Answer by mrssummerlin at 12:23 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• at least 10-11 months but not all children are the same
    L.Makakoa

Answer by L.Makakoa at 12:25 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I stopped at 2 1/2 years old.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 12:28 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My goal was 6 months but now that my son is 7 months old I think a year would be good. I just wish I can get a break sometimes... all he wants is the boob Lol. Its up to you and baby though.
    EmpathyEve

Answer by EmpathyEve at 12:29 AM on Nov. 12, 2010