What can I feed my 3 year old, who has diarrhea?

My 3 year old has had diarrhea for a week now. I took her to the ER last night, and the doc. sent us back home telling me to just keep her hydrated and try feeding her yogurt. We have been feeding her mostly rice, crackers, yogurt and plenty of water. I'm just getting concerned that my child is not getting enough nutrition. Is there anything that is more nutritious that is safe to eat when the child has diarrhea? Thank you.

Arielles_Mommy

Asked by Arielles_Mommy at 12:20 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Kids' Health

• bananas may help to solidify things a little.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:21 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• DS,2, just went through the same thing and we put him on Activia, doctor reccomended, to put the good bacteria back into his system. He seemed to clear up alot faster on this instead of plain yogurt. I hope you little one feels better soon.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 12:32 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• The BRAT diet is bananas, rice, apples and toast. google it and you will see this is recommended for little ones. Good Luck!! :)
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 12:40 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Pumpkin!!! I Trust me, a couple of hours and everything will be fine. Maybe add cinnamon and sugar to make it more appealing (or eat pumpkin pie!).
    Gandeluv

Answer by Gandeluv at 12:53 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• No yogurt - that can make it worse. Bananas (still a little green, not all spotty), applesauce (unsweetened), rice, toast. Probiotics help too - not the yogurt or cheese stuff, but real probiotics that need to be kept in the fridge.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I have always been told no water! Gingerale, jello, popsicles. Saltines and bananas
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:57 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• bananas rice apples toast-- serve the rice with broth and like a teaspoon of mushy chicken-- white meat no skin no fat
    half st juice, or pedialyte, ginger ale sprite
    personally unless the diarrhea was started as a result of antibiotic use I would NOT give him yogurt or any type of dairy--
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:12 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My suggestion to you is to call and make an appointment with your peditrician just to make sure there's nothing else going on with your child.

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I would not have been satisfied with being sent home, there is always the possiblity of a parasite or bacteria, did they not do any tests at all?
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:25 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• brat diet, cheese & peanut butter help too
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:39 AM on Nov. 14, 2010