Baby Making...

I am 27, and my husband is 30. This will be our 7th month ttc. We are having sex every other day during my fertile days (I do opk, basal temp, and ovulation calculators). I read these things about people having sex every day for the whole month, we just don't have the energy and stamina to do it that often. Is it bad to just do it about 4-5 times a month during fertile days? Realisticly, what would the ideal "sex schedule" be?

isabellem

Asked by isabellem at 12:35 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• You should really consider charting cervical mucus as well. Opks can be very inaccurate because they detect the LH surge and not the ovulation. The problem is LH surges can sometimes happen even who you are not going to ovulate yet.

You could be missing your ovulation because you are having such a small amount of sex. I would also recommend that you stop thinking as sex as such a chore. Have fun!!!

I wouldn't recommend drinking alcohol. Studies have shown that just one drink can damage the uterine lining and puts you at higher risk for miscarriage.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 2:52 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• EVERY TIME I GOT PREGNANT, I was intoxicated, it was about 2 weeks after a period and wheather I wanted to or not, I was knocked up! I swear by it! On day 13, 14 and 15 after the first day of your last period, drink some alcohol, it raises your temp and blood flow, and have fun. Obviously it's up to your 2 bodies ultimately but that's the only advice I have. I made 4 babies that way! I never drink really but everytime I do, I end up with a child. GOOD LUCK!!!!
    teardrop_7060

Answer by teardrop_7060 at 12:39 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• From what I have been told and heard (hope I'm not naive) there are only a certain number of days out of the month where it is possible to conceive. I believe it's around 14 days after the first day of your last period, right? So if there are only 4-5 days where it's possible, why would you waste your energy and stamina on the other days? Save it up and use it several times a day on those specific days. Maybe?
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 12:40 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• A good plan for me was, we did it every other day starting the day after my period ended to the day it was suppose to begin again. that way all the bases are covered...as in, if ovulation was earlier or later then expected.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I would say that you're doing things right. Sometimes, it just takes longer than others. Maybe add a couple of times on either end of your window? I'm sure you know already that sperm can live for a few days inside you, waiting in the wings for that egg to release, so having sex BEFORE you ovulate is key. I hope that helps! Good luck! Blowing some baby dust your way!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:12 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Holy crap anonymous... she said 4-5 times in a FERTILE PERIOD don't spout of marital advice just yet.

Have you tried using fertilityfriend.com? I agree with the miasmommy21407, track your cervical mucous as well.

Only %80 of couples concieve in the first year of trying. Honestly, I tell everyone to stop TRYING and just HAVE FUN!!!! It will happen. Just enjoy each other's company and try not to think about anything more than you're just having fun with your partner. Good luck to you!
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 7:43 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Everything I have read says to stop drinking alcohol to increase chances of conceiving.
    Every other day for 3 weeks sounds like a lot too.
    isabellem

Comment by isabellem (original poster) at 1:47 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Let me get this straight? You only have sex 4-5 times a month TOTAL? That's it? And your husband is okay with this?

I just can't imagine a man feeling satisfied sexually with 4-5 times a MONTH! I would be unsatisfied if we didn't have sex 4-5 times a week and my husband would be very cranky. Taking care of each other physically is important.

Maybe you aren't getting pregnant because your treating sex like a job instead of a pleasurable activity??

And don't use your age as an excuse! You are in you 20's and he's barely in his 30's. You are both FAR from old. You just need to make it a priority!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 AM on Nov. 12, 2010