Mommy friend....What should I do?

I just made a new mom friend and we have been to each other's houses for playdates. Honestly, I don't like going to her house. It's because she has 3 big dogs (lab, boxer, german shepherd) that she lets roam around in the living room where our babies play and all they want to do is be in my baby's face or in my face, and they are just in the way. It's a good sized living room put when you put three big dogs in there it feels like a playpen. Don't get me wrong I do like dogs, I have one myself. A small one though and she usually keeps to herself for the most part. Anyways, I don't want to hurt her feelings because I really like her as a mommy friend. Another thing is that she doesn't keep her floors clean, which is where the babies are all the time...duh. I thought about bringing a large blanket over to her house for my baby to crawl on but the dogs will still walk all over it. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can try avoiding going over there and just invite her to your house
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:41 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Ohhh, I've so been there! I wish I had an answer. I only tried to come up with excuses of why I couldn't go over to the other persons house. Trust me, that doesn't work for long. I look forward to seeing the advise you get here!
    Gandeluv

Answer by Gandeluv at 12:42 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• The only thing I can suggest is that you schedule more of the playdates at your house. I would feel overwhelmed with three big dogs running around the same room while two babies are in there.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:43 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Invite her to your house, or find things to do together around town, meet at the mall, go to public library story time for babies/ tots.
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 12:46 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I agree with Airamana, and when all else fails develop allergies to long haired dogs =)
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 12:49 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I would ask her if she wants to meet up at a public place. My local mall has Dinosaur Land where kids can run, crawl and play, climb on big dinosaurs. It's clean and fun and the dinosaurs don't walk around and knock the kids over!
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 12:51 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• You can ask if she'd be okay with putting the dogs in the yard or something when you come over, and use a blanket on the floor, but she might get offended. But she will also likely be offended if you stop accepting play dates at her house. So you risk hurting her either way. Everyone has a different standard for their home (and a different amount of time to do it in, but I know 3 dogs can make a floor pretty gross). You can try seeing if she'll come over to your place, public places, etc. If the weather permits in your area, a park with a blanket spread out is fun for the babies.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:52 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• So, far I think I like musicpisces's answer the best. I want to be honest with her because I can only avoid it for so long. Is there a way I can say it without hurting her feelings?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:02 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• i like the dog allergy excuse! seems pretty solid to me
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 1:04 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• As I mentioned in my question, I own a small dog....so the dog allergy excuse wouldn't work for me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:06 AM on Nov. 12, 2010