What's a good way to go about potty training?

My DD will be 2 on Dec 1 and we've been working on potty training and I'd really really like it if we could be done, or close to it, by her birthday. Any advice?

mrssummerlin

Asked by mrssummerlin at 12:51 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try the 3 day method. It's AWESOME!! There's an e-book (I have it if you're interested) available online. It took DS a day and a half to get it down! The book recommends 22 months, so you're in the right time frame. DS was 25 months when we did it. There's a group on here for it, too, though it seems like 95% of the moms have never read the book, which is frustrating if you have.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:54 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I'd be VERY interested!! I've heard about that, but until recently DD wasn't even interested in the potty so I never bothered going and picking it up. Now is defiantly the right time :)
    mrssummerlin

Comment by mrssummerlin (original poster) at 12:57 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• when my kids where younger i would put cereal in the toilet and ask the kids to shoot at the cereal yes it sounds funny but it works
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 1:05 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I could see that working very well for a little boy... can't see it for a girl though, hahaha!
    That's how my brother learned. :P
    mrssummerlin

Comment by mrssummerlin (original poster) at 1:07 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I have a friend whose kid got upset about the cereal in the toilet! He would cry because she wouldn't fish it out! LOL
    Everyone else I know has had success teaching their son to pee standing up that way. But the one story is funny!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:09 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Make sure she is really ready. Google "toilet training readiness". There are good links there.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:40 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I would wait for some signs she is ready. Kids have to reach certain physical and phisiological milestones before they are open to the idea. You can really get into a battle of wills if this is your idea and not hers.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• she is ready and has been. I'm just looking for good ideas as to how to go about it.
    mrssummerlin

Comment by mrssummerlin (original poster) at 12:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2010