What are your thoughts about this? (YOU CAN BE ANONYMOUS!)

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=211323

I wonder why she didn't do it for just kids in general you know? Like chubby kids, kids that look funny (all kids are cute, imo), kids with glasses/braces,don't have namebrand clothes, whatever.

Ugh. I would be LIVID if it happened at my school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• well, I do see your point is saying it should be not to say slurs about anyone for any reason but it's not like she's saying they have to be pro-gay, just saying not to use hateful slurs. so in a way it's a good thing, but it could have been a better thing if it were less specific to a group of people. KWIM?
    Anonymous

• So you'd be okay with your kindergarten student signing it????????????????
    Anonymous

• I didn't even watch the video. Don't have to. I would be so proud of my daughter if she agreed, by written pledge or otherwise, to not discriminate and use hate speech. How shocking that we should teach tolerance to small children.
    rmattes

Answer by rmattes at 11:52 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• The inappropriate part of this "tolerance" lesson is that it dealt solely with sexual orientation and pointed specifically at the high school students. Whats up with that? Why not "...anyone in the world.."? This teacher must be aware of some kind of behavior or exposure over at the HS and assume that theyoung kids would become aware of it? I taught my children (and keep in mind I am very conservative), that you don't make fun of anyone. Anyone! I actually took my children out of school and began homeschooling b/c of such poor character behavior at their school. I told them (they were k-3) that speaking of ones hair color, ears, walk, talk, etc, unless it was to compliment, was wrong. By teaching broad spectrum values, and also principles that are age appropriate, I found my children to grow into very respectful citizens.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:49 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• K well the video didn't come up. But I did read what was there, and from the gist of it, kids this young don't understand what being gay is. They don't understand any kind of romantic feeling (unless you take Freud seriously and not metophorically). I don't think it was right for that. It's not subjecting them to anything, except confusing them on something that they really can't understand when they're singing songs and coloring and playing outside.

Come on, girls/boys don't have cooties until what, 7 years old?
    rlemde

Answer by rlemde at 12:51 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• The blatant problem is that this kind of "prevention" forces little children's attention to something they would remain innocent about for many years." Don't use such slurs" ...??? Then children are taught about this: What words would those be? Why are those words slurs? What do they mean? What body parts and what physical activities are they referring to ??? .... Heck, I don't care if such a pledge is about gays, about heterosexuals or about personal grooming ! (there are PLENTY of heterosexual slurs and bad words young children shouldn't use and I don't want a teacher explaining to a classroomful of kids about f... , b...., and on and on) Some topics are personal, not to be broadcast from the rooftops with no sense of privacy and awe. You're afraid parents will fail to teach these things ? Then bring THEM into the classroom and pressure THEM to handle it at home. Sheesh !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:10 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• well the video wouldnt work for me..but i can tell u i would be pissed off if someone was telling my kindergardener its okay to be gay. IT'S NOT!!! it is a sin and they will burn in hell...

i didnt make the rules, just follow them :)
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:51 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• the link did not work.
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 8:14 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I don't care that the issue was homosexuality. I care that young children were put into a position that they were not mentally ready for. Parents were not given the option for this nor were they made aware of it. It is ridiculus that school has become our moral compass.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:17 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• it is a sin and they will burn in hell...

and that's why I homeschool. I don't need my impressionable, loving kid exposed to uglyness and hatred of this kind. we have beloved family members who are gay, and I don't want him coming home in tears due to sick, twisted stories of torture . . .

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2008