What is the CafeMom Encyclopedia?

What exercises are safe during a normal pregnancy? What should be avoided?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 1:36 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i heard that exercisies that you normally pre pregnancy were safe to do during pregnancy as long as you dont strain yourself to the point of fatigue.... other than that i'm not sure
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 1:37 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• If you were exercising prior to conceiving, then you're generally safe to continue during pregnancy. Regardless, you should consult your doctor/midife.
    That said, walking and swimming are two of the safest exercises you can do during pregnancy. With the okay of a doctor/midwife, you can lift weights, bike, even run if you were before pregnancy. Prenatal yoga and Pilates are fantastic during pregnancy, and can help you stretch without injuring yourself. Pregnancy makes us injury-prone, because relaxin (the hormone that opens up your pelvis) allows ligaments and tendons to stretch beyond their normal capacity, which can damage them.
    Avoid any exercises that have you laying on your back and any contact sports.
    Listen to your body. If it hurts, STOP. If you get light-headed, STOP. Drink plenty of water, and never exercise alone while pregnant, in case you pass out.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:44 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• It is usually safe to continue with exercise you have done regularly before conception but you should always check with your health care provider to be sure.

It is not advisable to take up a new exercise during pregnancy unless it is low impact such as yoga, pilates or swimming. There are many exercise groups aimed at pregnant women ensuring you can exercise safely for you and your baby.

MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 4:56 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Usually you will be allowed to do anything that you were doing previously. I highly recommend Prenatal Yoga as it is the very best exercise for a pregnant body and at most prepares a woman for a better birthing experience.
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 8:11 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Just do whats comfortable to you and dont overdo it.
    aliceinlove

Answer by aliceinlove at 10:59 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I think you should stay away from heavy lifting, other than that anything in moderation, exercise will help you when you get to labor.

Answer by older at 8:13 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• There are lots of excercises that you can do during pregnancy. I googled it. Bc before I got pregnant I was very fit. Then now with the pregnancy I have let myself go. But with me I am high risk so I have to watch what I do. http://www.babycenter.com/pregnancy-exercises that is a website to check out. And there are many more.
    courtneyrogers

Answer by courtneyrogers at 8:27 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I would try Yoga. There is videos online showing you all the poses. I found it very relaxing during pregnancy. There is even pregnancy Yoga as well.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:02 AM on Nov. 15, 2010