How to prepare for my sons tonsilectomy and adnoidectomy?

My 5 year old son has to have surgery to remove his tonsils and adnoids and gets very whiney when not feeling well. How do I prepare for him to have surgery? What are suggestions to keep him from whining and making his throat hurt more then I know it will?

JuneBug1985

Asked by JuneBug1985 at 1:57 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I suspect he will be whiny no matter what you do to try and comfort him. I had mine out on the exact day of my 16th birthday, that's probably the only reason I remember it so well. That was the last year that my mom was still alive too. I remember there being a convo. with the docs. about whether to put me in the peds. wing or adults for post-op and my mom insisting on peds. (she knew I would get better more attentive care there I'm sure. And I did, I got loads of popsicles!!!! I was never a big fan of ice cream, but they offered lots of that too!! Just provide lots of nice cold yummy goodies for him, the cold feels good on the throat after that procedure. Good luck!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:30 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Thanks so much. He will love the popsicles and ice cream!!! He LOVEs either one and being able to eat lots....yeah that will make his day! I never had tonsils....seriously they just never grew so I dont know what to expect. Thanks again.
    JuneBug1985

Comment by JuneBug1985 (original poster) at 2:36 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• ICE POPS tylenol, motrin and lots of love
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:48 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My son had his out at age 6. It was an out-patient procedure, so we went home the same day. If your son is nervous about having surgery, you can contact the hospital's child-life department & they should be able to set up a tour of the OR and let him see everywhere he'll be while in the hospital and walk him through the procedure.

Once he's had the surgery, take the "good" pain meds that are offered (typically Tylenol 3, which is Tylenol w/a tiny bit of codeine in it), b/c he's going to hurt & you don't want him to cry. Crying can dislodge the "scab" that will have formed over the area where the tonsils & adenoids were, and if it dislodges, he will bleed, then you'll have to stay until he stops bleeding & can drink again.

Ice cream is not recommended anymore b/c dairy causes the body to create mucous & you don't want that draining into or clogging his throat. Popscicles & juice are good & soda if that's all he'll take.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:15 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Its ok that Ice Cream isnt allowed...cause he shouldnt have much of it cause of his intolerance anyway. Thank you so much, that helps ALOT! I will stock up on soda, juice and pop sicles, he LOVES sprite...Thanks again
    JuneBug1985

Comment by JuneBug1985 (original poster) at 11:22 AM on Nov. 12, 2010