How do you pick a church?

What draws you to one more so than another? How do you decide it's the right one for you?

thelowlander

Asked by thelowlander at 2:04 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Bad comparison but it's all I can think of.... it's kind of like "house-hunting." You go to different ones (read about their basic beliefs and stuff online before going), attend their services a few times and see if the messages, worship, interaction between members, etc are what you are looking for in a church.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 2:12 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Never needed to," I am a church unto myself".!!!!!
    I feel the need to add after reading "LostTheSlipper"'s answer though, that that answer just proves the facts that I advise people of all the time. "Organized religion is for the weak of mind, for people who are unable to accept the truth (that there are NO answers to life's basic questions!!!!!) and they NEED to rely on others IDEAS to feel better about the way they live their lives. It's an easy out for people who choose to be stupid. After all, EVERYTHING you do is a choice!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 3:05 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• It depends on where you are in your walk. If you're a baby Christian you may still need the "Milk." If you're more mature then you may need more "Meat." I agree with LostThe Slipper..look up the beliefs online first to see if you agree with the basic doctrine. Then go and see if you like it. i would encourage anyone to try at least a couple times. However, sometimes you know it is or isn't right the first time you go. i was lucky that both the ones I went to had very loving, open, accepting people with great children's ministries. Made the choice a lot easier.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 9:43 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I am a very new, struggling Christian. I go to church (as of the last month) to begin learning. Who knows how i will feel a year from now..
    We choose our church because we got invited by my bestfriend and enjoyed the service. we also enjoy this church because it is close to DH family so they can all go with us as well (they are church going people & want to join us occasionally- or may join the church as well. who knows)..
    Their Children's program is really great. the church is big so it has a whole wing dedicated just for the children & the security is tight (webcams are monitored & no one can get your child without a special slip of paper.) If things keep going well I hope my daughter will join AWANAS.

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:00 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• i stopped going for about 5 years cause i couldnt find a church. every church was either too conservative or so large that they didnt need/want my service. i also dont want to go to a church that is legalistic and afraid to try new things. honestly, the only reason i my family goes to church right now is b/c my dad is the preacher at a little church in town. they are liberal and leave a lot of unsalvation related stuff to the individual to decide if they believe it or not. the service is good, i get to volunteer in all sorts of ways, and the ppl are so nice & welcoming. it feels like a home, an extended family...not a church.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:56 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I want to find the church which actually houses the Holy Spirit. I want to walk in there and feel the presence. Is that too much to ask? I don't care about how much money you make or what you wear or if it's the "right" church in the town. Just let me know that I can find his presence.
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 11:25 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Go to the source, the bible. Look at what the scriptures teach about worship. If you attend somewhere and what they are doing or teaching is unscriptural then keep looking. Don't be afraid to ask questions either if you don't understand something. Make an appointment with the minister or elders if necessary. Pray about it, too.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 11:48 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• "For far too many people religion is what I want, not what God wants." Bishop Fabian Bruskewitz

I think of Jesus who gave special knowledge and authority to the Twelve Apostles but not to the multitude of disciples, who said the gates of Hell would not prevail against His Church He established (Mt 16:18-19). I think about Jesus telling the Apostles that the Holy Spirit would guide His Church in truth (John 16:12-13). I think about the unbroken chain of successors of the Apostles who have held fast to the Deposit of Faith that has been handed down from generation to generation (2 Tim 2:2). And I think about the writings of the early Christians who believed in the Presence in the Eucharist, the Sacrament of Reconciliation and the permanence of Matrimony, among other things, just as Jesus did. Thinking of all this, I know that the Catholic Church is where I am supposed to be.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 5:37 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I don't. I stay the Hell away from them all.
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 6:23 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I pick smaller churches that is filled with the Holy Ghost. The ones where i can feel the presence of the Lord. Ones that are loud, preacher talking loud, people not afraid to clap their hands, or get up and yell amen, or get up and run around the church. That's my type of church. People get up and plays drums & guitars and get the gospel music going, better than the quieter churches that just play a boring piano, and sing softly. I like the type of churches that don't care how you dress. Because i am uncomfortable in panty hose & dresses. The church i been going to, the ladies wear jeans, t shirts and sweatpants.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 6:37 AM on Nov. 13, 2010