I want to go back to college.

What do I do, I want to go to school to be a Kindergarten/Preschool teacher. Anyone know what I need to do to get started? Additional info: I live in Oklahoma

JuneBug1985

Asked by JuneBug1985 at 2:19 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in

• Meet with a counselor at the school you want to attend. They can really help you get things going. The daycare part is another issue (if that's an issue for you).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:22 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Thank you, no the daycare part isnt an issue, my son can stay with my parents when Im in class. Thanks again.
    JuneBug1985

Comment by JuneBug1985 (original poster) at 2:23 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Nice! Yeah, a quick phone call to make an appointment will answer all of your questions. =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:24 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• She's saying preschool and kindergarten are 2 different things. Preschool is considered a day car,e so you only need so many Early Childhood Education units from a college, and be licensed to be a child care provider for multiple children. For kindergarten I'm pretty sure you'll need some sort of degree, either Associates, or Bachelors. Good luck with your pursuit. Fina a guidance counselor at your local college and get started. Spring semester is right around the corner.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:37 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• care***
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:38 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• See a counselor at the admissions office. Ask if CLEP credits are still given. (College Level Examination Program) Those are tests you can take and get credits for life experiences. You might be able to get credit for a few classes. Best wishes!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:07 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• That is very cool elizabr, never heard of that before! I will have to look into it, Thanks
    JuneBug1985

Comment by JuneBug1985 (original poster) at 11:32 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Make an appointment with a counselor at the collge you are looking to attend. Your best bet is to get a Bachelor's in Early Childhood Education (somes places is PreK-3rd grade).

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:55 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Find your nearest community college and take any placement tests you might need.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:34 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

Next question in
which school

Next question overall (School-Age Kids (5-8))
How do I start homeschooling?