My 6 month old rejects like every solid food and juice I give to him!

OK, he is 6 months old. I give him oatmeal in the morning, which most of the time he will take. But everything else he totally rejects. He will take one taste and shut his mouth closed really tight so I cant get the spoon in it!!! And this is with like ALL of the new food...which I've tried all of them numerous times.

And with the juice....ewww..thats a whole different story...
He will drink that fast like its a bottle of formula but when he tastes it he stops drinking and starts gagging!! And one time he puked everywhere from the taste of Apple Prume juice.

I dont know what to do because my doctor told me he needs 3 solid meals a day and needs to drink juice (he has constipation issues---thats why)

Please help!!!!!!!!

MandyAshley

Asked by MandyAshley at 11:32 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sometimes it takes 10 to 15 times to get babies to like new foods. I have read this and it has been true with my daughter. Maybe try to mix oatmeal with pureed fruit. Before my daughter had teeth I let her suck on carrots and green beans. Then when she was ready for food, she already was familiar with the taste.

Just keep trying. It takes time.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 11:36 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I agree with PP; as frustrating as it is, keep trying to reintroduce the same food. Try mixing juice in the formula (maybe start with a single flavor) and mixing fruits/vegetable with the oatmeal. Good Luck!
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 11:42 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I'll tell you what, my son, wouldn't take anything except for mussleman's apple sauce cause he saw me eating it. Try the juice in a sippy ( i prefer nuby for 3 months ). He only likes plain juices, apple, pear, etc. And with baby food, we had to start him on carrots. It was the only thing he'd eat for almost a month. Now he'll eat anything you give him except for bananas. Another thing, if he's formula fed; it could be constipating him. DL was on Similac Isomil; extreme constipation. Then we tried Similac Advanced; GERDS came back. Now he's on plain old Enfamil with Lipil (yellow can) and his stools have improved. WE tried everything when he was constipated - gas drops, vitamins, different juices, different foods. All it was; his formula.

Another thing he LOVES is the Good Morning, and Good Night baby food's from Beachnut. He absoloutly loves them. They don't smell 1/2 bad either
    DLucas4108

Answer by DLucas4108 at 12:35 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• He does not need 3 solid meals a day!! Compare that with what the American Academy of Pediatrics suggests along with the World Health Association. Never trust just one doctor. Your son is fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• He might not be ready for solids yet. Babies don't NEED anything but breastmilk or formula until they are about one. If he's not into it, don't force it. Eating solids at this point is just for practice, not a nutritional necessity.
    Rachelou

Answer by Rachelou at 11:57 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Sounds like he's not ready for solids yet. Try waiting until he shows signs of interest. For the juice, never put juice in a bottle. Nothing but formula or breastmilk should go into his bottles. Use a sippy instead. As mentioned, try the soft spout by Nuby. He's vomiting because he's drinking too much and he's drinking it way too fast.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 12:14 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• In the first year solids are for experimentation and play, not nutrition. Don't stress about it. All your baby needs in the first year is breastmilk. (Or formula if you're not nursing)
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:19 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• The same thing happened with my oldest daughter when she was that age, turns out she was allergic to anything with milk product in it...so if it is Hienz you are feeding one the the ingredients is Malt, which is a milk product. We had to switch to anything soy, and get our baby cereals at the health food store, where there were no milk products in there. She would eat in the morning, and then nothing the rest of the day, no matter what I tried, it was really upsetting, then she started to slide on the growth curve. She grew out of her milk allergy, she is almost three now. Oh yeah she was constipated too, that is why she would not eat, her little tummy hurt! Hope that helps, it would be worth something to try.
    canadagirlie

Answer by canadagirlie at 11:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2008