did the dr. pull my 3 month olds foreskin back too soon?

i did research on the care of the uncircumsized penis, and was led to believe not to pull the skin back till much later....but when i went for his 3 month checkup, the dr. pulled it all the way back and told me to make sure i pull it back like that and clean it so there would be no infection.....poor lil guy came home with a irritated penis, and now i read more info tht says, never never pull it back and i am worried now, do i leave it alone, or do i have to pull it back now to clean it since it's been done now???

bhudson

Asked by bhudson at 5:43 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sorry! its too early for me..........lol
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 5:54 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Yea, certainly too early!! We are supposed to leave them alone until the head starts coming out on it's own!! Poor little guy.

I really don't know what you should do now - I did a search and found this thread from this woman who went through the exact same thing - http://community.babycenter.com/post/a6215915/doc_pulled_back_the_foreskin_of_2_mos_old
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 8:31 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• The Dr. did that so your Son would not develop an adhesion (where the skin grows together). It happens often.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:45 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I had the same question when my son had his, and the doctor said to clean it after giving him a bath. So what I did when he was in the tub I would just pull it back a little bit and make sure he didn't have anything around his penis. To tell you the truth I didn't do it so often, just once in while so there is no build up around his penis. Good luck, the baby will be okay.
    bratgirln1

Answer by bratgirln1 at 1:06 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• If your DS is uncircumcised you don't pull the skin back. Now that it's been pulled back he could get adhesions but it was unlikely before. I had a doctor try to pull my DS's foreskin back and I yelled at him he admitted that he didn't really know if you were supposed to or not and I never saw him again. I think you should look up as much as you can online now about how to care for it if he's already been forecably retracted but all I can offer is that you might want to either correct your doctors misinformation or find a new ped.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 3:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• BTW my oldest is uncirc'ed also and his foreskin is just barely starting to retract and he's two and honestly he's on the earlier side it can be unretractable until they are as old as sixteen and that's not abnormal. Also if you can't find anything online maybe you should try contacting a urologist they may know.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 3:17 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I would be having a talk with that doctor, and he might not be my doctor anymore. You should NEVER retract an intact penis. The only one who should do so, is the owner of the penis. I would keep an eye on it, and if no problems arise, continue to leave it alone.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:33 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

Actually, this is unnecessary with an intact penis, but often necessary to do if your child IS circumcised. It's a common misconception.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2010