At what age do you introduce your baby to books?

My little girl just turned one years old and I want to get her interested in books.

jmjohnson89

Asked by jmjohnson89 at 6:02 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I read them to my children from the moment they were born, I felt it helped me calm down and them. So when they got to 1 they were already familiar with their story time routine. Children are never too young to be introduced to books. Start reading them to her, making her look at the pictures and just letting her enjoy them!
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 6:12 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• From the time they came home from the hospital I read to my daughter she's 8 now and doing so great in school never ever too early
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:17 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Absolutely start NOW!!!! As soon as my kids could sit up and grab things they were playing/looking a board books. All of them were being read to by one. We have several shelves full of books on their level. The only thing I don't like is that ALL the books get pulled off the shelf, but I guess I would rather they have access to them. Our kids are 4, 3, 2, and almost 1. The baby LOVES to look at books and turn pages. He doesn't sit for very long but hears us reading to the other kids.

We usually get books as gifts. In my opinion books are SO much better then toys!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:43 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Start with a bunch of the sturdy board or cloth books. They are great for her age. It's great for her and you as you sit together and enjoy them. Have fun!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:52 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• When they r in ur belly u can read 2 them, they hear everything ur saying.....& u should continue after they r born. U WILL notice a difference in ur child's intelligence compared 2 other kids.
    YoMomma77

Answer by YoMomma77 at 7:31 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• U can also buy cloth books that r black, red & white. These colors attract infants eyes, when they r not in fully in focus yet..
    YoMomma77

Answer by YoMomma77 at 7:35 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I did right away, but it's not too late. Get the sturdy books.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:37 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I've been reading to my son since before he was born.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:42 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I started reading to my 17 month old when she was born. She has always loved books. She brings me books to read to her all the time. We read atleast 4 or 5 stories every night before bed. I have her point things out and help turning pages. Lift the flap books like Where's Spot are great for getting interest. IF they can participate they will enjoy it more....
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 9:45 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Start reading them as soon as possible. Gradually their attention span will be able to sit through a whole book. My son will stack up all his books next to me and have me read all of them to him for like half an hour :). It's never too early to start!
    JJsMoMMy519

Answer by JJsMoMMy519 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 12, 2010