Whats the difference between a wish and a prayer?

both are based on hope and faith, neither of which is based on anything tangible or provable.

Rubbing a lucky charm or wishing upon a star or praying to an unseen deity or calling upon the Force and hoping things work out. Whats the difference?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 6:50 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Nothing. It's all the same.--

it is for an atheist..but not for one who beleives in a diety, be it God or others. it is very clearly different than just a wish or rubbing a bald man's head. in the personal belief lies the difference. it your personal belief that there is no difference..to a believer, its all the difference
    thanks for thinking we all think like you, though.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:36 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• When you pray for something, you are praying TOO Someone. Whether or not you believe that doesn't change whether or not God exists. He hears me when I pray. And that makes all the difference.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:53 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Nothing. It's all the same.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:57 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• "Only those who have a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ can pray..."

PRAYER:
    •the act of communicating with a deity (especially as a petition or in adoration or contrition or thanksgiving);
    •reverent petition to a deity

Notice the lack of "Jesus Christ ONLY" in the definition.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:02 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I agree with micheldo. I do not believe in Wishing, it is a false Hope... I put my Faith in My Heavenly Father. Because I know He is Real... I have proof of this because of the KJV Bible, and Because Jesus Christ lived, and died for our sins. and testimony of hundreds of thousands Christians/Believers.
    LuLuMama_4Jesus

Answer by LuLuMama_4Jesus at 7:07 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• "I do not believe in Wishing, it is a false Hope"

Thats how I feel about praying to a god....but we all have our crutches I guess. Either way, it IS sending positive thought out into the Universe and I see nothing wrong with that! We all need to feel that our wishes and dreams are being realized by something bigger than us. I just wish more people would understand that we ourselves, can bring to fruition our own happiness.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:12 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Anyone can make a wish. Only those who have a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ can pray to Him with the assurance that He will answer.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:56 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Well wishing is the same concept. Whether you believe in luck, magic, or good fortune or not doesn't mean magic and good luck isn't real. Your wishing to the fates and the cosmos and you just know it hears you. That doesn't make it unreal because it sounds fantasy-ish.

So its really back to what I said before, based on faith and hope to an unseen and unprovable force/entity that may or may not even be there. So whats really the difference. God, Zeus, the Force, Cosmos, Spirit, isn't a who, as much as an It and a Representation of our Faith and Hope.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 6:58 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

There are other religions, ya know, and those people pray and meditate, as well to their gods and goddesses. Its very narrow minded to assume prayer could only mean the Christian faith.

Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 7:00 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• there were 1000s of Aztecs, Ancient Greeks and Egyptians, Sumerians, Incans, Buddhists, Hindus, and even dreaded Atheists who died throughout history firmly believing what they believed, as well, does that mean their's are any less real because it isn't the most popular belief in our society?

"knowing" something is real based on blind faith doesn't mean it is. You could "know" pink unicorns are real, doesn't mean they are.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 7:13 AM on Nov. 12, 2010