Do you have a set menu?

How do you udo it? Does it usually work, or do you find yourself improvising? Where do you have it? Is it saved in your computer or where?
I´ve been wanting to set up a menu for my family, to make things easier and food shopping easier, but I just have no idea how to get down to get one on paper.!

Luisa621

Asked by Luisa621 at 7:00 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Every two weeks I make a menu for the next two weeks. I shop based on that. I don't have a set meal for the day, just a set 14 that I have to cook sometime in the next two weeks. I don't like planning and feel trapped when I try to plan to much. I might say that chicken is on Wed but then Wed comes and I feel like spaghetti...so I cook spaghetti :)
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:05 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I just write everything out on paper...plan meals for the week, not necessarily for each day, but it helps with the shopping list when you know what meals you will make and can check your current supplies. I don't do anything fancy on the computer, just pen and paper in a notebook. Works just fine!
    JJsMoMMy519

Answer by JJsMoMMy519 at 11:08 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• nope. I buy what I know they'll eat and try to add something new every once in awhile.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:34 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I sit down sometime on Friday night or Saturday morning. Working with the store's weekly flyer, I see what's on sale and I make a quick menu, usually on the back of an old envelope (it's easy to put on the fridge with a magnet). I try to fit the cooking to the day - night's where one or two people have an activity will be nights were dinner will be quick to throw together (like spaghetti) or in the crock pot (so that we just have to serve). Based on the menu, I then go through my fridge and pantry to see what I'll need to pick up at the store to be able to cook all of the meals and I shop for the week on Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

To me, having the menu is not restrictive. I work full time and am tired when I get home. If I've got something planned then it's far more likely that a dinner will be available, rather than resorting to "breakfast for dinner" again. :-)
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:03 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• We decide what we want for the week and I write it down and take the paper w/ me or I will forget.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 12:02 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I figure it out each week based on the store cirrcular, it comes in the mail on Friday and I start my list. I try and make meals around what is on sale that week. I don't plan each night, I just buy the stuff I need for a week's worth of dinners.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2010