Can I lose weight just from walking? How much and how fast would I have to walk to get results?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 7:04 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• 14 Walking Workouts to Fight Fat and Boost Energy

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:07 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• You would have to walk fast enough that it would be hard to hold a conversation with someone. Work up a real good sweat and make sure you cut your calorie intake. Check out my journal post, too long to copy and paste in here, but lots of good information about weight loss. Hope it helps:)

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 7:33 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Well, you'll also need to cut down on dietary fat and sugar if you want the walking to work faster.
    It's really about consistency. If you want to lose weight through walking, you'll need to do it EVERY DAY and you'll also need to recognize when the walking workout has become too easy for your level of fitness. The general rule is, if you can do it easily, it's too easy. So that's when you amp things up by walking a little faster or a little further, or carrying hand weights.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:14 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• it helps, but not all by itself, cross training works best if you can do it. A bike, or jogging, or hiking on a trail (the hills and rougher terrain), at least
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:24 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Yes, you want to walk at least 30 minutes and you want to walk at a pace that conversation because challenging. 30 minutes is the proven minimum amount of time to kick in fat burning. Start at three times a week. After a few weeks add ankle weights, this will help with strength training which is important to add muscle. You will burn more calories at rest. Also to vary your routine by taking a hilly path and move your arms as well, this will work out even more of your body.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 7:39 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Yes, you can. I lost a lot of weight by just adding walking to my schedule . I would walk 30 minutes a day and go about 2 miles per hour (treadmill). Eating healthy, of course, should be part of it too.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:33 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Just remember to keep your calorie intake between 1200 to 1400. The best way is to burn more calories than you take in. Walking is actually better and easier on the body than jogging. Just remember to walk at a briskful rate, to keep the heart rate elevated.
    mommommomomom

Answer by mommommomomom at 9:13 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Yes walking is a great way..
    To make sure you get the most out of walking make sure you swing your arms.. you may feel a lilly silly at first but it helps to walk & burns more calories.. also tighten your stomach and try to engage your muscles while working (like tightening your butt with each step.)

and watch your food. the healthier u eat the better :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:44 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I am going to read that aritcle b/c I am walking 4 miles 5 days a week. My legs look great but I am not loosing weight.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:50 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• yes, but you should also do other exercise as well (biking, running, etc)
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:18 AM on Nov. 14, 2010