Do you spend a whole day cleaning your house only to hear your husband say it looks awful?

Let me start off by saying we live in a very small 30 foot fema travel trailer with no slides and there are three if us. I am a stay at home mom and I spend most of my day cleaning house and doing laundry or dishes. I will admit it is really cluttered but when everything is where its suppose to be it does look good. I clean it up to where it looks good, other people have even said so but my husband comes home and says what have you done all day it looks awful in here. We have an 11 year old daughter and she loves to draw, write stories and color and tends to leave her stuff where she was setting but its nothing big you can pick it all up with one hand usually. He gets mad and tell her to put her stuff away. He does every once in awhile say the house looks good honey but not very often. Does anyone else get this? Or do you think its the fact that even though I do try to do my best to keep it clean that it is just to small????

SheriesMom

Asked by SheriesMom at 7:20 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Home & Garden

• no actually the opposite. I'd work my butt off and have no one notice it and /or have it be dirty again within a few hours, sooo I gave up doing that much effort anymore. I only do what needs to be done as its needed. and far less often than I used to.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:21 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Some days I do absolutely nothing, DH will come home and say the house looks great honey....and then I snicker to myself because I did jack all day lol.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:24 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• LMAO, Ashisamom, THATS happened to me too. Fueling my lack of desire to do much even more.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:25 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• nop i dont do it to hear that , i do it for us ..
    i like clean area and shiny places lolll but his complement will be welkome anytime if he 'll try to keep it clean as much as possible lolll
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 7:33 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• yeah my husband will only say it looks nice and that's only when i ask his opinion. otherwise he says nothing or doesn't seem to care. but i know i had to be doing something great when i left him home one nice and came back to my house looking like a jungle. do you ever leave him home alone? see what he would do. i'm sure it'll not 1/2 as clean as you would have it. that'll give you the boost you need.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 7:36 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Heck no.. my husband did that once and then I showed him how awful it really could look lol I did absolutely nothing for a few days. Well I did little things to keep things safe and sanitary for the kids..but other than that I left it alone and my point was proven. My husband knows how hard it is to keep a completely spotless house when you've got 2 little ones running around. He knows because he used to be in my shoes back when I worked and he stayed home, and we only had one child at that time lol
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 7:43 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I hear you! My house is under 650 sq ft and there are 5 of us- and of course everyone has 'stuff'- so if there are things sitting out and not put away the whole place can look trashed. I have had days where I worked my butt off getting the house clean, everything organized, put away and then hubs walks in and ..... nothing. He "did not notice"! Ummm how could you NOT notice that when you left in the morning the house was a mess, and when you came home everything was picked up, supper dishes done, supper cooking, recycles and garbage taken out (HIS chore that quite often I end up doing)..... Then when I would point out everything I did he would give me a look and use a condescending tone. Pissed me off, to spend all that time cleaning and for what.... him not appreciating it. So now I clean when I want, what I want and to heck with him. If he does not like it HE can clean!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:47 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• He is probably just frustrated from work and taking it out when he comes in, and frustrated because the place is so small. Here's hoping that things look up for you soon.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 7:57 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• He sounds like an unappreciative ass. The next time he has a day off from work (like a vacation day), dare him to switch duties with you. He'll stay home and clean and you can leave for eight to ten hours. Maybe then he'll appreciate what you do.

We don't live in a fema travel trailer, but we do live in a trailer.. an older one. It's difficult to make these things look pretty and clean when they weren't in the best of shape when you moved in.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 8:14 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I agree with SweetLuci - seems like he's probably frustrated with other things and he's venting inappropriately.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:35 AM on Nov. 12, 2010