How did you quit smoking?

Do you ever have cravings, years after you quit?

.science.mom.

Asked by .science.mom. at 8:18 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Health

• Go for a brisk walk and drink water....Ice cold through a straw. Yes sometimes I have a craving after 10 yrs Jan. 12. I will go out by my husband and get a little 2nd hand sniff. BUT I remember what it did to my skin. It dried it all out and I was more prone to break outs My hair did not shine anymore. My hair and clothes smelled bad. It was so hard on my teeth. It is also so offensive to other people around you ...esp the ones you want to be around and they do not want to be around you cause of the smell of smoke. It was a great accomplishment to me though when I had to re-teach myself how to deal with emotional or tough situations without a smoke. Yeah. I just got a think from my kids school pointing out that there are 400 addictive deadly drugs in cigarettes. Come on you are a science person....you know this!! I trust you will not have a weak moment. sorry bein a Mom friend. lol
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:32 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• cold turkey with just prayer and self discipline. Yes I have moments when I would love a smoke but I just cant do it. I hate the smell,the sore throat,and all the stuff that comes with it so I just dont go there.
    imuney

Answer by imuney at 8:20 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I quiet cold turkey as well. Actually how I did it was I always said I wasn't going to smoke while pregnant and I wasn't going to let anyone smoke around my kids. Well we tried having a baby and as soon as I found out I quiet smoking and figured I went 9 month months without a smoke so why not just stay off so I did. I have been off cigarettes for 5 and a half years now well actually 6. Because my daughter is 5.5 as of October 29th and nine months not smoking so would average out to about 6 years or little more lol. And yes I still crave them sometimes when I see other people smoking and it has been 6 years. I think you will always get that craving it just gets easier to avoid it. And the craving doesn't last as long as when you first quiet. I also quiet because I thought about my daughter I said to myself what if something happened? And I couldn't be there for my kids? So that is why I haven't gone back too.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:26 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• cold turkey just have to have it in your head that your done! yes its been almost 4yrs and there are still times i want one
    mom23ks

Answer by mom23ks at 8:26 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I got sick last yr with kidney stones, and a kidney infection. I quit right then. Nothing tasted good, smelled good, etc. It was really the perfect time to quit. The smell of cigarettes still make me nauseous. I smoked off and on for many years, and to this day I don't crave cigarettes at all.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:38 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• i quit cold turkey 6 years ago. it was the best thing i did...one of the hardest too. it was more of the emotional and psychological battle. I drank lots of water, did yoga, and cut back on caffeine,
    mrstiffanyc

Answer by mrstiffanyc at 9:29 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• That's what I find too - I quit cold turkey 7 years ago and still get cravings when I am stressed!

I went to an Alan Carr seminar yesterday :)
    .science.mom.

Comment by .science.mom. (original poster) at 8:29 AM on Nov. 12, 2010