Entertaining the idea of cloth diapering

Im entertaining the idea of cloth diapering our second baby. Im figuring that economically it may be worth the extra hassle. The apartment we live in has a washer/dryers in the back...we wouldnt have to pay for the electicity or water and we dont have to pay to use them.... So id have to pay for the extra detergent to wash them and the diapers themselves.

Thats where i get hung up on the idea. How many diapers would i need? The fuzzi bunz and the bumgenius both cost around 17.95 a diaper.. that seems like a lot.

Ive also thought about doing the gdiaper.. but again...kinda costly...

And what if i hate it... what then, i bought a lot of expensive diapers for nothing.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Cmyfantasyworld

Asked by Cmyfantasyworld at 6:47 PM on Jul. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well I personally haven't used cloth diapers on my own kids but my mom used them when my little brother was a baby and it saved her a ton of money, we couldn't afford alot back then so trust me it helped, you can by them at walmart probably cheaper and I think the come 3 or more to a pack (not quit sure though) also my mom bought about as much as a regular pack of diapers (as many that comes in a pack) but that was just her. i'd suggest you buy enough to last at least a week so you only have to wash once a week.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 6:51 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• My first suggestion is that if you're looking for something cost effective...consider second hand cloth diapers. There is NOTHING wrong with them and it's so extremely much cheaper. A great site for this is www.diaperswappers.com Join their forum and you'll get a wealth of information. Also, although the initial cost can be a lot, it's cheaper in the long run. Plus you can sell them afterwards and make A LOT of your money back. For instance, when cloth diapering my son...after buying diapers, and then selling them I actually ended up only being at a loss of maybe $80...so I actually only spent $80 out of pocket (after selling them) for cloth diapering him for a year. That's a helluva lot cheaper than disposables! My biggest suggestion is really to join the diaperswappers forum...they can give you a ridiculous amount of great information that I don't have space to type out here :)
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 6:57 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• its great its healthy for my child its all around great
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 6:58 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• true i got mine second hand as well at craigslist and your right there is nothing wrong with them
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 6:59 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I like the pocket change diapers the best. They come with two inserts. I actually use the micro one for the inside and the hemp one as a wipe. That makes them more affordable right there. Plus I dont have to "unstuff" them before I wash them. So I can layer as much as I need (for overnight or day) and have wipes, and don't have to touch pee insides.

When I had 4 in diapers at a time they were definately life savers. I would have enough on hand for every two hours to change them. Plus a few extra for when you are washing or if they have a "sick day" and just wash every day. :)
    LgFamilyMomma

Answer by LgFamilyMomma at 7:12 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• That's a great idea! I wish I would have used them.
    mwebb

Answer by mwebb at 7:59 PM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I put both of my children in cloth for the first year, and plan to do the same for #3. I love cloth diapers!!! They are awsome for the enviroment and very easy on your wallet. first time around I bought contures and prefolds, used them with wunderroos and bummies whisper wraps, buy used if you can find them used, bleach or boil to sterilize, and hang in the sun. I am not sure wxacly what I spent, I think #1 cost about $200, I kept most of them and invested another $30-70 for number two. First time I got stuff I did not need and learned the pit falls. One thing I noticed with cloth you have to change more often because they do not lock the urine away from the skin the way paper does. Good luck!! please stick with it, you will be happy you did! BTW you may want to consider paper for the first week home from the hospital and in the evenings- it is a bummer to have to change cloth through the night and the bowels are not really established yet.
    emmyem

Answer by emmyem at 7:17 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• It's a great idea...I definitely recommend checking out diaperswappers.com. You will find so many answers to your questions, and can ask anything, and there are thousands of mamas on there willing to help you along the way! Love my cloth...so addicted to the cuteness!
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 5:40 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• i suggest going to diaperswappers.com and buying a few of each kind to see what you like! i have never used a Bg and i hated my fuzzi buns,,, i now use prefolds and pins with fleece and wool! i also have a few fitteds! i think i spent between $60-$80 on my initial stash new and now i just buy or trade for diapers i think are cool or wanna try! pm me if you have any questions or not sure where to buy!
    shetibo

Answer by shetibo at 7:52 PM on Sep. 23, 2008