Holiday traditions

when my husband and I first got together, we didn't have much money. I didn't even think we would be able to afford a Christmas tree. My hubby saved up and bought a cute little tree and set it up for me while I was at work one night. (yes I cried when I saw it) We definitely didn't have any decorations to put on it, buy my hubby being the sweetheart he is, and a hunter, found 2 dove decoys and put them on the tree. Every year since that day, we have the 2 decoys that he first put on that tree and we each put on on it the tree with all of the other decorations we have. My kids think we are crazy, and that it is so ugly, but to my DH and I it is a reminder of where we were and how far we have come.

yellarose

Asked by yellarose at 8:33 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Holidays

• That is a great tradition! My DH and I use to go to the restaurant where we first met and he proposed but now we have boycotted the location - the restaurant chain closed that location and it is now something totally different. It is good to have traditions you can hold on to! =)
    bryncalyn

Answer by bryncalyn at 9:04 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I think it is sweet that the 2 of you have those decoys as 'keepsakes'. One tradition that hubs and I have started with the kids is we put the Christmas tree up during Thanksgiving weekend (we have a fake tree due to my allergies) and then we do 'pizza and movie' night- sometimes it is take-away pizza, sometimes frozen pizza and the movie we watch is always Ralphie's Christmas Story. Although this year I don't know if my oldest will want to do it, he is 14 and is starting to think the movie is "boring". He has ASD and just got an XBox 360 a few months ago so if it is not Xbox related most things are 'lame and boring' (according to him). At least my middle and youngest will enjoy pizza and movie and have fun!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:22 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Sweet story, thank you for sharing. My dad had this hideous glass blown flaming royal purple open mouthed fish ornament from his childhood. That thing is just the worst! But it is on our tree every year lol.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:18 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• We decorate our tree with silver, blue and gold bulbs. And always buy our daughter a new ornament.
    SheriesMom

Answer by SheriesMom at 2:13 PM on Nov. 12, 2010