Why would you want....

as a person who follows the Bible, to take away rights to a selected few? Does the Bible speak of fairness to all and equality and not signaling out? Why would anyone want to impose on others something they would not want for themselves?
My question is meant to offend anyone, just curious how someone can justify not giving everyone their due rights in general, because of religious believes.
Do unto others as you would like others to do unto you, what happened to this?

Asked by older at 8:37 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Religious Debate

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • What I find is that the pro-gay marriage people are just as judgemental

No one cares if they or you or anyone else is judgmental, We SHOULD care if rights are being infringed upon. Poeple have every right to dislike and judge and teach their kids to not be like whom ever they choose.

It crosses the line when we start dictating LAWS based on that

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:12 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• The opinion of the majority should not trump others' rights. Civil rights are protected for everyone and should never be up for "vote." This has nothing to do with religion, IMO. Religion should not trump civil rights. Have your faith, beliefs and opinions, just do not use those personal elements to manipulate others' rights-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:18 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Prop 8 was a prime example of why Democracy isn't conducive to freedom. It should have never been an issue that people get to vote on.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb Franklin

Democracy is nothing more than mob rule-Jefferson

Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:49 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• This is what i ask my mom ALL the time. She is a farely open minded person, BUT...she is 73 & was raised in a time where people did not "come out of the closet". She does not think badly of gays, even has gay friends, but is against them getting married. We get along so well, but will fight to no end on this topic. I asked her this the other day....

"why should your opinions & beliefs effect someone else's right?"

She had nothing to say...

I really don't get it....i will NEVER EVER understand why people are so hell bent on taking away the rights of people who will not be bothering them with their personal life AT ALL! It would have absolutely no effect on the haters whatsoever, but they still think they should have the right to take someone else's rights away....friggen RETARDED, that's what it is....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:47 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I once got into an argument with a lady about homosexuality. I don't care what sexuality other people are, it doesn't affect me, and that is what I told her. She was a very religious person. She asked me if I ever planned on having children, I told her most likely and she told me if I ever did the homosexuals would hurt him and turn my child like them. I laughed at her, it was all I could do. Some people are just ignorant! I always thought God should be the one to judge, not us!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 9:01 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Good question - I can't wait to see some answers.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:46 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Does the Bible speak of fairness to all and equality and not 'singling' out?-

unless i've forgotten a verse somewhere, the only time the Bible speaks of inequality/singling-out people is when it is comparing the saved/lost. the 'wheat and the chaff', as its written. also, you can find where they separated leprous (or whatever the disease may have been) citizens from the healthy ones by casting them out of the city, into their own 'lepers colony'. but this was a health issue, that is still practiced for the good of the healthy community (ie: quarantined)
    maybe i'm being too simple in my thoughts, though. not quite the situations you're talking about, i know. i still say, as a xtian, what is God's is God's..what is Ceasar's is Ceasar's. ''justice and liberty for all''..American motto, right? it doesn't negate God's command to love your neighbor..even the homosexuals, or any minority that deserves fair treatment.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:50 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Remember that CA voted for Prop 8 to ban gay marriage. CA is very liberal and I wouold bet many of the votes weren't from "religious" people. As for the issue, I'm on the fence.

Answer by kittieashy 41 minutes
    ----------------------------
    Prop 8 was mostly defeated because of religious people...the Mormon church spent millions of dollars and influenced millions of people in California ---because theMormon church is so strongly AGAINST gay marriage.They want to make evryone straight. They tried to "change" my former sIL, convert her from Lesbian to straight many years ago.It was horrible.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:18 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Oh, ITA. I don't think God ever intended anyone to force or impose their own beliefs/regulations/etc onto anyone else. It has always been meant to be a choice. And especially in this country, where we have the freedom of (and FROM) religion, and where there are other rights that aren't up for a vote, but are inherent and inalienable, you'd figure that more people would understand not insisting that others live according to their own convictions.

I also think its so funny how you see so many people crying or ranting over how Islam is supposedly going to try to subject us all to Sharia law, but they have no problem with expecting people to live according to their version of Christian righteousness, whether those people agree with it or not.....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:36 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Since when is sexuality of any kind a civil right? As for the bible any sexual behavior outside of marriage is condemned. Marriage is specifically between a man and a woman in all the biblical examples. Where do we draw the line of civility? Isn't it just as much a christians right to condemn this under the freedom of religion or of speech as it is for those who believe their rights are being violated? Homosexuals can vote, work, eat, get an education, own a home etc. There is no violation of civil or constitutional rights. Basically the only thing cannot have is one another's social security. Any one has the right to establish their private finances any way they would, even a health care proxy allows you to name whom ever you want to make your decisions if you are unable to do so. There would have to be a federal constitutional amendment regarding marriage first, in order for their to be a violation.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 12:21 PM on Nov. 12, 2010