Pregnant with a cold

Usually I barely notice colds and make fun of my hubby for acting like it's the end of the world, but I just feel awful. :[ Now I'M the big baby! My cold's only last like 2 days, maybe one day where my throat hurts, then the next a stuffy nose and headache, then I feel better. It's been a week now and I don't feel anyyyyy better. I can barely breathe and my throat is still bothering me. Plus this nagging pain in the back of my head won't go away. I took a benadryl last night just so I could go to sleep easier, it's hard to get comfortable when you feel like you have a swollen face and can't breathe.

I guess I'm just wondering how long a cold lasts while you're pregnant? I'm hoping it doesn't turn into anything worse since it hasn't gotten better.

ours

Asked by ours at 8:41 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• First of all I would talk to your dr about what you can and can not take. My sister was pregnant last winter and she couldn't take anything but tylenol. she drank lots of fluids, water, juice, tea (decaf) and that seemed to help her. Any pharmacist can advise you on what you can take, but they usually refer you to your dr. I hope you feel better soon!
    yellarose

Answer by yellarose at 8:44 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I've been eating lots of oranges and trying to stay hydrated. If I'm still sick next Tuesday I'll bring it up to my OB
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 8:48 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I agree with pp ask your ob what you can take I myself caught a nasty cold that I am still battling and it has been almost three weeks...I would definitely not take benydryl since you have a cold and not an allergic reaction....my doctor but on antibiotics because my cold has progressed to a minor lung infection. So I would consult ur doctor so that you can begin taking the proper medication to make you feel better. GL and feel better soon
    lazo060109

Answer by lazo060109 at 8:48 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I agree with yellarose. The thing with pregnancy is that you have more circulating blood volume, which makes you feel MORE congested in the sinuses than usual. Some people think they have a cold, but it's just that congestion. It does sound like you have a cold, I hope you feel better soon.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:49 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Benadryl was just to help me pass out to be honest. I work full time and will end up calling out if I don't get enough sleep at night. It is too hard getting ready for work let alone waitressing afterwards if I feel totally out of it. I swear since I got pregnant I function only on 10 hours a night, if it's less I know I'm going to end up taking a nap with my son later on.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 8:52 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• my dr approved of benydryl as long as it wasnt often... have u gotten any other kind of decongestant? my dr say suttafed (SP) was ok as long as it was the non-drowsy and w/out extra stuff. call ur doc and ask what u can get. i kno what its like to be sick. i get sick often, but when ur pregnant it just feels so much worse. feel better soon
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 8:59 AM on Nov. 12, 2010