How do you get the kids to Help Clean?

I have a 4 year old and almost 6 year old sometimes I clean their room but would love to get them to do it. If I say I am going to just throw things away they clean up a bit when I come with a trash bag.. I would love to be a cleanner house wife. Right know I have laundry and dishes that all need tending to and yesterday we spent the boys' day home form school cleanning their room and planting the garden.. A chore chart only partly works for my almost 6 year old.. Plesse some little helpful tips that you have share !!

mamagator

Asked by mamagator at 8:48 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Saturday is cleaning Day. They are given a list of chores and the TV, video games or other toys don;t come out until they are done. It was apin in the butt when I first started enforcing this but it is pretty smooth now. Afer breakfast they have the living room picked up for me to vacuum, the litter box scooped and any toys that should be in their rooms back to their rooms. They are 3 and 6.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:50 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• You have to break it down for them into smaller pieces. If my son needs to clean his room, I ask him to pick up all his trucks first, for example. Then I'll remind him to make his bed. Then put away the Legos, and so on. Otherwise it's just overwhelming for him and he doesn't know where to start.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 8:54 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• That sounds like something I could get my hubby involved in as well.. Like it .. Thanks.. It is hard to take care of everything and not stress. I have been doing fine but my baby girl is 11 months old and sleeping in 2-4 hour intervels for some reason maybe trying to teeth but she wants mommy everytime she gets up and i am so tired. Thank goodness i don't have to work at a job I am a sahm and normally can take care of it just not lately.. Thanks and any more tips are greatly appericated....
    mamagator

Comment by mamagator (original poster) at 8:55 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• They also like to have classical music playing while they pick up. When the music is fast they go fast, when it is slow they go slow, sometimes DS decides it sounds like you should hop or skip. lol. I really need viddeos of this.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:00 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I have tried so much and I still flip flop...Kids this age need an immediate reward! Stickers, hot wheels, whatever they like that could be an immediate reward....stay in your budget but collect a mixture of what they like that you could hand to them when the complete a chore..tickets that they could save for a bigger item...this works with older kids...tickets for an activity...just keep thinkin' and keep it simple
    motherganey5

Answer by motherganey5 at 9:19 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• make a game or a song of it at daycare they had this song that the kids would sing while they pick up... "Clean up clean up everybody everywhere clean up clean up everybody do your share!" lol
    imuney

Answer by imuney at 9:57 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Make a game, praise and positive reinforcement.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:56 AM on Nov. 12, 2010