5 year old, night time pull ups...peeing in them while awake???

My 5 year old DD still wets every night so we use pull ups at night. I have recently found that in the morning before she gets dressed she pees in them while she is awake. At 5 I expect her not to do this, that has been made clear! Now, for the most part as soon as she gets up I make her get dressed immeadiately just to avoid the situation altogether. This morning I was a bit sleepy and lazy so we laid on the couch to snuggle a bit before dressing and she did it again!

Trying to find the proper punishment for this. She knows better!

mom2queenie2004

Asked by mom2queenie2004 at 9:06 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'd say get rid of the pullups, but I understand why they're needed overnight by some kids. Lay down a new rule - the second she wakes up, her butt needs to be in the bathroom on the toilet, and she needs to change immediately into a panty after using the toilet. She's old enough to know better, that's for sure. I want to say take away a toy every time she does it, but punishing can be a bad thing...reward her when she remembers, like if she doesn't pee in it for a whole week you'll take her for ice cream or something, or a new little toy, or mini golfing, or to a movie...but check her daily and be consistant - if you need to, wake up yourself just a few minutes earlier so you're awake and can help her remember.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My opinion is to ditch the pull ups all together and just invest in some extra sheets and mattress protectors (even a cheap shower curtain liner under the sheets will do).. but from my experiences with this the pull ups just give them more of a reason to WANT to pee themselves. I know the thought of your child peeing in their bed over the night is gross because they are laying in it but thats what baths are for and they wont like it any more than you do because it is wet, uncomfortable, and smells! Also.. no punishment should really be given for wetting themselves during the night. Alot of kids really cannot control themselves until much later. Just make sure to encourage using the potty during the night. Maybe even put a portable potty in her room. I know it may seem silly doing that for a 5 year old but it could be a case of her being scared to get up in the middle of the night or something. Good luck!
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:14 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Have HER take the pull up off immediately when she gets out of bed and go to the bathroom. Every morning.
    lish2127

Answer by lish2127 at 9:08 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I don't agree with the idea of punishment either, but have you considered that she may have some troubles? I've had some bladder issues all my life and and when I wake up I can barely make it to the toilet.

if she's wetting while asleep, one way or another she's having some troubles. may not be medical, but maybe she just needs some more time with it all.
    if she's not having accidents during the day, then I don't see the big issue, other than the idea that at 5 she should do what 'other kids do'.
    maybe you're putting a little too much into the age thing.
    I'd just consult a doctor, and if she's medically OK (which I personally take with a grain of salt) then why not just give her more time?
    is this really her issue or yours?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• She should not be punished. Just get it off her asap. My son is in the same situation, but the first thing he does is take it off. The night thing will go away on its own, it did for my older dd.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:47 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• There should be no punishment! Just get her to the bathroom as soon as she gets up and before she gets dressed.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:07 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• That is what we have been doing, but the one day I didn't she does it again. There has to be some self-control on her part.
    mom2queenie2004

Comment by mom2queenie2004 (original poster) at 9:10 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I don't punish her for night time peeing. We actually make no big deal of it. DH wet his bed until he was 8 so we just accept they follow after him. Once she is awake, I hold her responsible for it though.
    mom2queenie2004

Comment by mom2queenie2004 (original poster) at 9:18 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My 4 yr old wears pullups at night too, and I just have to really try to get him changed before he pees in his. If i catch him first thing it's not a problem, but i caught him one day still wearing his pullup kinda late and he actually told me "oh no! i'm peeing!" so i don't think he was even thinking about it either. i say just try first thing...pullup off and go potty!
    stykir

Answer by stykir at 9:33 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• The reason shes peeing is bc she gets to pee in them at night so she knows that as long as she is wearing a pull up it is okay to pee. If you dont want her to pee take it off her. Youre confusing her when you say pee in it at night but not during the day. Theres no punishment for something thats your fault.
    imuney

Answer by imuney at 9:53 AM on Nov. 12, 2010