What are auto machanics supposed to look for when inspecting your car?

I had my car inspected in Sept. Just in time for a road trip. I fill my gas tank up as soon as I leave the garage and the gas leaks all over! I drive back there, they say "Oh, big problem, your tank is rusted"! Paid $400 for a new tank and labor.
Then, the other day I'm driving my car, push brakes to stop and no brakes! Literally had to stop half block away to get to where I need to stop! It's now at the same garage and they say, "Not good, you need new brakes and brake lines"! Another bill for $450!
Weren't they supposed to check my brakes when I took it for inspection?

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 9:23 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Just for Fun

• A mechanic will only inspect what you have indicated is wrong - it is not like getting a total physical when you go to the dr.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:37 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• you would think...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:25 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• TAKE CAR 2 NEW SHOP!
    My hubby looks at cars for the family I some times help Checking the breaks is a big deal and looking for rust.. Try a new shop before something else gose wrong..Good luck..
    mamagator

Answer by mamagator at 9:28 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• BUMP
    newmom28

Answer by newmom28 at 10:20 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• as far as I know, the inspection doesn't cover the mechanics of the car, it only check to see if your car complies with the law (headlights, horn working, etc.)

Answer by missanc at 10:23 AM on Nov. 12, 2010