Is it safe to put Hydrogen peroxide in my ear?

I have had an ongoing problem with my ear. It's had a full/stuffy feeling. Then first time it happened it cleared up within 3 days from various home remedies people told me about. A week later it happened again. This time NOTHING I tried worked. So I went to the doctor. He gave me amoxycilin and ear drops. He said it was an infection and an ear wax impaction. Well I'm done with both prescriptions he gave me and I don't even feel a little better. My mother in law suggested hydrogen peroxide in the ear. I have never heard of this. Is this safe to try?

Babydoll1015

Asked by Babydoll1015 at 11:43 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Health

• as far as I know it is... haven't heard it was unsafe anyways...
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 11:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• YEP...100% safe to do on occasion for earwax buildup....my mom did it us us constantly as kids and my ears are fine...

...just don't do it daily. Your earwax is there for a reason. I do suggest it if you have a painful builup, though. It really helps.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 11:45 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• ...buildup*

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 11:46 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I use it about once a month to do a "thorough" cleaning of my ears :D

As far as I know, it's perfectly fine. I just dip the Q-tip in the HP and swab my ear with it. I let the HP do its job, it makes a really cool tingly noise. Then I clean out my ear with the other side of the Q-tip.

I haven't gone deaf yet, so it must be okay xD
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:54 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Try a ear candle, you can get them at natural foods stores, it's a hollow tube that's about the size of a candle stick, and it's made of a gauze type material with wax on it, you stick one end in you ear and light the other end and it's supposed to draw up all the junk in your ears, I would have someone help you, also when we use them we put a damp cloth around the base just in case.
    in2sims

Answer by in2sims at 1:21 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I had earwax buildup in my ear and went to the doctor because I couldn't hear very well out of it. They took a combination of peroxide and water and flushed out my ear to unblock it, so I would say that it is safe.
    br8eyes

Answer by br8eyes at 1:34 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Yes it is. I had a dr tell me to put peroxide in my ear before to get the buildup out of my ear. I used to put it in my sons ear when he would get ear infections and it would clear his ear infections up.
    kywildcats

Answer by kywildcats at 6:28 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Yep! I have ear problems and there are times that poroxide is all that helps!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:23 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My husband used to be a diver who cleaned the bottoms of boats underwater, ALL the divers used hydrogen peroxide in their ears after a dive.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 8:44 AM on Nov. 3, 2008