what size bike does your 6yr old child ride?

my son needs a new bike. He has the little tonka bike but should i upgrade to a 16 inch or 20 inch? He got money from his grandmother to buy one for his birthday but not sure what size to get.

mandynjohnsmom

Asked by mandynjohnsmom at 9:41 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• depends on his height....his toes should rest on the ground when he is sitting on the seat....when my dd was 4 we got her a 16in and then a 20in when she turned 7....we took her to the store and had her sit on them first
    macksmom716

Answer by macksmom716 at 10:19 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I cannot remember what size my son had, but it was smaller, probably 20 inch.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:11 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Mine has a 16 inch, maybe 14, but he is small for his age. The best way to figure it out is to go to the store and have him try them out.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:19 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Depends on your ds, and how big he is, my 5 year old can ride a 18 and inch, tho it is clearly too big(those are his friend and sisters bikes) his is 14 inch, but getting too small. Im thinking of what size to get him as well, I think I will end up getting him a 18 inch. You should go to the store with him and have him sit on a few different ones. On one hand, you want it to fit him, but also not have to get another bike in 6 months either....I myself am comfortable with ds having one that is a bit too big, as he is very confident on a bike and is a great rider, but if he wasnt then I may get a 16 inch. He isnt that big either, a bit on the smaller side.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 3:07 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Depends on the size of your child really.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 9:27 PM on Nov. 12, 2010