A 14 yr old grl and a 18 yr old boy.... DATING????

MY sister is 14 and lives with me.... I have jus found out that her BF is 18 she told me 16..... Should I let them continue to date? I dont think she is responsible enuff to date an 18 yr old. and he is 18 and a junior in high school. I work hard to help send my sister to a private catholic school. Im jus worried she will have sex early and get preg. or a disease. HELPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jazmya_mom

Asked by jazmya_mom at 11:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I think you should talk to her, let her know your feelings but dont get angry, that will make her rebel. My cousin was in a relationship when she was 14 and he was 17, they had sex after three weeks, he pressured her into by telling her he loved her, and they were going to be together, after that she lost her self esteem and he started to control her. Her parents tried to get them to break up but she kept dating him without them knowing. Its a scary thought but she needs to have your support, not criticism, try to remember how your emotions were when you were 15 and relate to her as a sister not a mother, i think you will get better results. Good luck!!
    Mommy_of_two_85

Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 4:55 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• no! this relationship cannot end well for them! if they do have sex it's illegal anyways!!!
    Anonymous

• of course Im not stupid and know that and have told thme both that. I have n ot met the boy only takd to him on the phone. I used to date older boys but this is a diff day and age
    jazmya_mom

Answer by jazmya_mom at 11:46 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• oh sweetie, wasn't calling you stupid!!! ;o) I just strongly feel that it's a bad situation for her to get into.

Anonymous

• Please be careful!! When I was her age I also dated a guy that age. And he ended up raping me... I was so naive and innocent that I didn't think anything of us going to his house to "meet his mom". I wouldn't allow that to go on AT ALL!!
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 11:52 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• umm hun im sorry to break the news but they already had sex...i was with an 18 year ols when i was 15 and have seen these relationships often (im only 17) her lying about his age kinda gives it away and those relationships are no good stop it he is just using her
    akashaismyworld

Answer by akashaismyworld at 2:34 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• He probably has been telling her all kinds of things - how much he loves her and so on. One thing you need to do is have a talk with him - tell him you know he is 18 and if he doesn't break it off with her in a way that she won't know he was made to by you, that you will contact the law. Then you need to be there for your sister because she probably really beleives that he loves her and thinks that she is in love with him. That is such a hard age - I have two teen girls and became a mom just after I turned 17. I tell my girls all the time in a non-lecturing way about all the diseases that they can get - without hiding the nasty details. I also tell them about guys telling them things just to get them to have sex.
    janie-o

Answer by janie-o at 6:11 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• put her on the pill, even if she says she is not having sex
    chilimidos62

Answer by chilimidos62 at 6:46 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I have always dated older men and I've never had a bad or scary situation arise from it. I think you really have to look at the type of person he is, what they have in common, how he behaves, is he respectful, his lifestyle, that sort of thing. If they're both still in school, they probably do have somethings in common but that doesn't mean you shouldn't fully screen him the way you would any other date.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:15 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I wouldnt allow a 14 year old to date at all. Thats too young, IMO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:24 AM on Nov. 3, 2008