Do You Think Boys Should Be Paddled in School?

I just saw on The Today Show a coach paddled a couple of boys for misbehaving. A father found out, taped it and is now suing him? I know in my middle school many years ago one teacher did paddle the boys, not very hard, but he did, my now S/O was one of the boys paddled. He was the only black teacher in the school at the time, and he was the MOST liked in the school also. Should they paddle if it's not out of control, or not severe?

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 9:52 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• When I went to school, the principle had a paddle and yes there were kids who felt the broad end of it on their behinds...a couple swats on the behind didn't hurt them but made the point. Teachers and school officials had control and the kids' respected them and their authority. These days kid's are disrepectful of teachers, talk back to them and misbehave in general because they know the teachers can't do much about it. The teachers, school authorities have very little recourse. Yes, they can and do suspend them but that's exactly what some of these kids want...a few days out of school to do whatever. When we told teachers and school authorities that they could not discipline our children, other than time outs and suspensions, we set our kids up for thinking they could do what they wanted, that they did not neccessarily have to obey the rules and show respect to others including adults and ultimatly we set them up for failure
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:49 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• NO. Teacher's should NOT be putting their hands, or paddles, on someone else's child.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:54 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• No, no one should physically repremand children except for their own parents. There are still schools here in GA that paddle kids. I cannot believe it....crazy....i would beat someone's ass if they touched my child at school! I would paddle their ass!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:55 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• No! The same goes with girls too. NO!
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 9:58 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• NO! Corporal punishment is never right....nor effective.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 10:01 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• By everyones definition of a spanked child, I should have been a suicidal emo. Wow...I am no where close.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:12 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• we have to sign a consent for anyone to paddle our children at school. I dont feel the school should be able to paddle.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 10:16 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• And to add to my answer...........NO i don't think any child should be paddled, spanked or whatever from a coach or teacher. I feel that's the parents to handle.
    4theloveofTink

Answer by 4theloveofTink at 4:25 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• NO child should be paddled by anyone!! If a teacher or school staff ever hit my child, I would be suing too. Then again, NO school staff in my state can physically punish a child.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:45 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• No. Not just no but Hell no. Not to my son or any child we may have.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:56 AM on Nov. 13, 2010