Dress codes at school that includes hair cuts

I've never had much problem with dress codes or even when it includes the haircut. I've never protested even to me some of the stupid things, but what would be your reaction if you had two sons with same hair style, with the same dress code, same town and only one was told to cut their hair or they couldn't come back until it was done. Also being that was it is the same hair style he started school with and has been trimmed.

To me it seems to be one teacher personal dislike of his hair and not a enforcement of the dress code. I have no problem with cutting his hair and plan to. What are everyone thoughts.

aitson

Asked by aitson at 9:52 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• wow...I am so glad I am not a teacher or a principle or counselor at a school...... This is an example of parents who have no respect for rules and authority. Kids will learn to defy authority and not listen to teachers if you , as parents,complain about something as TRIVIAL as a Dress Code. Wow.....Get over it and dress your kids right.

If it's that trivial, why are kids getting in trouble over it? I have respect for rules when the rules actually make sense. No weapons in school?Sensible rule. Be in class on time? Sensible rule. Boy's hair can't touch his collar? Stupid rule. Hair length/color has NOTHING to do with education. NOTHING. Plus blaming the parents for kids defying authority isn't totally fair, if a boy wants to have long hair and his parents are willing but the school gives him a hard time, and punishes him for it, they are hurting their own cause when it comes to making the kid respect their authority.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 9:16 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I think kids should be allowed to express themselves. I can see enforcing dress codes, but I really don't believe a school has the right to tell you how parts of your body should look. What if they had a weight code and all kids and to be under 150 pounds? They shouldn't be allowed to change a kids appearance.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:59 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Are you kidding me?!? "Not allowed to come back"? I wasn't even aware of the fact that a dresscode could include hair. My oh my ... I'd have a serious word with the teacher in question. This is ridiculous.

BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 10:02 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Schools are taking this sh*t too far. How long is it going to be before schools begin to look like Pink Floyd's The Wall

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:05 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Me personally I hate the dress code BS. Our school said "This will control bully issues, fighting and such, so far it seems to have gotten worse . We live in a nice area and there never seem to be any problem b4 they stared this crap. Me I would go up there and raise hell at ur school that is BS I agree kids express through style and such. Control they sagging and the girls that dress like lil sluts but let them wear jeans and ect!!! Haircuts?!?!? I'd flip out!!
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 10:18 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I would not comply with the request to cut his hair...I WOULD however be sitting with the principal & that teacher expecting an explanation. If it was valid I'd comply & ask that they be more consistent with the upholding of the dress code. I'm not sure what I would do but, I know I wouldn't be quiet about it, whatever I did.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 11:28 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• "wow...I am so glad I am not a teacher or a principle or counselor at a school...... This is an example of parents who have no respect for rules and authority. Kids will learn to defy authority and not listen to teachers if you , as parents,complain about something as TRIVIAL as a Dress Code. Wow.....Get over it and dress your kids right. "

This^^^^
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 5:34 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I'd pull my kids out of that school. That's just not right! But, to each their own.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 9:56 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I know that has happened here. I think schools are taking this uniform and dress code to an extreme. The only thing i feel we have control over is tennis shoes. you have certain pants, shirts, belts and socks now. oh and school colored jackets.

A few weeks ago I was checking my son out and a mother was getting her kids because they were told they couldnt have a line in their hair. other then the line their hair was short and clean cut. She wasnt too upset and was really calm but I would have been furious.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 10:24 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I've never had a school have a rule about hair length in my son except when he was in private school. He went to a private christian school a few years and they had that rule. My thing is this, yeah some schools are going a little out there on the dress codes. It's like they are reverting back to the 60's. My mom and dad had similar strict hair cut rules and dress policies when they were in school. But then again, I know the rules for my sons school before school starts. I can get the dress code for every school in the district online. I can apply him to any school I want. I can transfer him. If you think it's the teacher being an ass make an appointment with the counselor. But if your son is in clear violation of the schools policies then I see no reason to be upset. You know the dress code. Is it in violation or not?
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 10:45 AM on Nov. 12, 2010