Do you brown a Chuck Roast before cooking it in the oven/crockpot?

My mom always did but it's such a pain. Just wondering if skipping that step makes a difference or not?

sarasquiverfull

Asked by sarasquiverfull at 10:03 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I don't. I just put it in the crock pot on high for 4 hours then on low for another 3 hours. It usually falls apart and is so tender. Making one on Sunday, can't wait!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:15 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I do. A little browning or even slight burning gives it a specific flavor that you won't get if you don't brown it. It will cook fine without browning, but it will be less flavorful.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:29 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Never. My mom never did either. Just takes more time and gets more dishes dirty - I use my cp to avoid extra dishes!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Of course. I don't want to eat a piece of greyish poached looking meat. Browning it really does make a huge difference, both in flavor and in appearance.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:36 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Not necessary but it does change the flavor.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 10:37 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I have done it both ways, and I prefer using the browning step. There was nothing wrong with it when I didn't brown it, and my family didn't seem to notice, but it was more flavorful I thought, when browned first. Why don't you try it without browning and see if the extra work is worth it to you. Moms have such little time, that we each have to find ways of cutting corners that work for us.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:43 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• No, I don't. Sounds like more work. I put it in a crock pot w/ potatoes, carrots, and onions and put the lid on it.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 11:54 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• ALWAYS! Yummy, I sear it really hot oil where it's almost burnt because while in the crock pot it makes the broth super flavorful and keeps my pot roast moist. I saw it on Good Eats with Alton Brown.
    Pamarita

Answer by Pamarita at 12:53 PM on Nov. 12, 2010