Build a house or sell and buy one?

I am trying to work with hubby about this we have a trailler 11 acers of land we want a house. We don't plan to do anything in the next 2 years. What to do is the question.
Should we sell our place (We love the land and have put so much into it) Or build a house ? What would you consider in the idea? {Please help

mamagator

Asked by mamagator at 10:12 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I would say whatever is going to keep you out of debt. It is always best to save up and pay cash for things, even big purchases. Why would you sell the land OR build the house? Why can't you just build a house on your 11 acres? It sounds like you love the land, so I would say stay where you are and build the new house as you are able on your land. Good luck!
    JJsMoMMy519

Answer by JJsMoMMy519 at 10:18 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I would definately build a house. You can even build inexpensively without debt using "green" materials. There is a wonderful magazine: Mother Earth News and they have had lots of articles and house plans over the years, and they are all archieved and available on their website: www.motherearthnews.com

You can even work slowly over the course of a few years and pay for all materials out of pocket so in the end you have a mortgage free home you built yourself....

We only have half an acre, but in a few years I hope to sell and buy close to us....either just the land or the land with an old farm house.

Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:31 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• You already own your land, you love where you're at...it's a no-brainer to me, build!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• LAND! Keep it! SAVE EVERY PENNY and don't build until you can afford to pay for AT LEAST half of it all up front. Keep yourself out of debt. If that means staying in the trailer longer, so be it. If it takes years to build, so what - as long as you're working on getting what you want in the end. Just don't go into debt over it.
    GumboGirl

Answer by GumboGirl at 10:40 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Build Build Build! You own the land, you'd be idiotic to sell and buy when you LOVE your location.

Look at Modular Housing - Once it is on the property, it is just like a site built house.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:47 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Manufactured homes are pretty much the same as modular but a bit better IMO. Stratford Homes are amazing, worth the money - and very reasonably priced.
    Anonymous

• Keep the land and build on it.
    Ananomys

Answer by Ananomys at 2:22 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• You should build a house if you've got all that space.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:56 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• We bought our land a year ago. Since than we have built two 'guest' cabins and plan to build a cordwood home (foundation is poured). Our total costs so far are less than $2500.00. We've used all the free/scavenged materials we can locate, including free lumber from a local sawmill. The biggest expense was that foundation. The total cost for all three buildings will be less than $10,000.00. We have a well, septic, and we're putting in solar. Our main monthy bill will be the internet. Fwiw, I agree with looking at MEN magazine. Cordwood, cob, and some other natural building methods can be done by almost anyone and cost far less than conventional housing. I think they are far more aesthetically pleasing as well.

If you love the land, I'd say stay put and build yourself a home you'll love just as much as your location.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:23 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• I would build if I could.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 3:07 PM on Nov. 13, 2010