Are generic pregnancy tests as accurate?!?

My period was really late in September so I got a pregnancy test and opted for the generic brand, but there was two in the box. I took one and it came up negative, and my period came a few days later- normal. In october, however...my period was late again (I hadn't had sex since before my last period) so I took the second test, negative. But then my "period" came and it was insanely light and only like 24hrs, really (usually it's 2-3 days with day 1 being the heaviest- sry if tmi!).

So anyways, now I feel like I'm having some of the same symptoms of when I was pregnant last time and I'm paranoid that I might be pregnant but it didn't show since it was the Rite Aid brand. Does anyone know if it matters?? (I know for A LOT of stuff, generic brands are the exact same as the name brand..)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Pregnancy

• They all work pretty much the same.. just pee on it, or dip it in the pee...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:02 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• The generic ones are what we used for the incessant testing we did while we were trying, then we got a couple of name brand ones to verify a positive. They work the same way, it's just a matter of what hormone level they need to get a positive.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:03 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• some women just don't "test well" with HPT I'd suggest going to the doc and getting a blood test drawn. Just explain that your period wasn't right and you feel pregnant but the HPT was neg.

I've personally never had an issue with generic tests but of course I pee on it and immediately it reads pregnant...even on day 1 of my missed period LOL I guess I just make lots of the hormone it tests for :)

that really sounds like implantation bleeding to me.

if you don't wanna go to the doc, maybe get another test and try again in a few days
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:03 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I think my first two pregnancy tests were Equate brand...or the trusty Wal-Mart brand :P They were positive. The next two were the ClearBlue tests (MUCH more expensive), and they were positive too.

So I don't think it really matters. It's all a bunch of marketing hoopla anyway.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:04 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Yes...generic HPTs are just as accurate as the NORMAL name brand HPT. The only HPT that would work better than any other HPT is an early detection HPT. If you keep getting negatives and have NOT had sex in the last month and STILL get a negative, I would suggest that you see a doctor. The symptoms that you are expierenceing could be the sign of something OTHER than pregnancy...such as PID or another infection of sorts.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 12:07 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• If you haven't had sex in a month, the light bleeding was not implantation bleeding.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 12:09 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• With my last 2 kids I used ones from the 99 cents store. Yeah, for real, I'm a cheap skate. And they were accurate. I also used those a couple of times when it turned out I was not pregnant and agan they worked fine. I have friends who have used them to, sucessfuly.
    Of course when I get a positive first thing I do is go to my ob/gyn as I would to confirm the positive result with any at home test.
    monkeytrianer

Answer by monkeytrianer at 12:13 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• i also used the 99c store ones and all results were accurate. BTW i just had "generatic tests" done for my unborn child and at first i thought you meant something a little different...LOL. then i realized you were talking about generic brands.
    Loba

Answer by Loba at 1:38 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Well if you are nervous about using a store-brand, then you'll laugh over this--we used the dollar store tests and found them to be accurate--our youngest is the proof positive! LOL ;)
    NICNLV

Answer by NICNLV at 4:15 AM on Nov. 3, 2008