Do you check your childs facebook regularly and have their facebook password?

I always check my 14 year old daughters facebook and now she has changed her password, which I changed right back. She also changed her email password, which I also changed right back. I not only like to check her facebook stuff I also like to check her friends when I go on her facebook. I know I'm being nosey, but I like to see what kind of kids she hangs out with and what kids I'd stir her away from.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Nope. Never have, Never will!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• They aren't old enough for it yet, but yes, when the are, I will make random checks of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I have a feeling that could come back and bite you in the butt one day.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 10:32 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I do check hers but not all her friends. Her grandmother used to read everything and then call me about everything,lol finally my dd deleted her from her friends list.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 10:34 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I do the same thing as you. I actually get a kick out of reading it. I am extremely nosey. My son also changed his password, which I changed back. It's obvious to me that every parent does not do this. Some of the things the kids write is terrible.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:35 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My oldest is 4, so no FB yet. But no, I won't do that. I don't believe in snooping. It breaks trust - I know, I had a mom that did it... And kids always know how to get around a nosy parent anyways...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:38 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Bite her in the butt? lol I think she's doing the right thing by being aware of what's going on in her childs life! Good for you for being an ACTIVE parent!! As for our 14 yr old son, his account is deactivated, by MY doing. His grades started to slip, and his attitude needed adjusting, so he won't have his back until both of those improve. When he's 18, can pay for his own internet, and bills, then he can have the luxury of having his own passwords, etc. But until then, no, I'm the parent, not his friend.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:41 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I have always been upfront with my kids regarding emails and facebook. I told them that I will do random checks. I am their parent and I need to know that they are being safe. I had a friend who always did occasional diary checks and actually saved her daughter's life (the girl had a suicide pact with a friend.) That taught me that you cannot be too careful when it comes to your child/teen.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:57 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• No I don't have their passwords but I am friends with them and with alot of their friends. Plus they leave themselves signed in often. Yes they cal block me but we haven't had them do that yet. My kids don't get a face-book till high school. By then it is imperative that I have taught them how to do the right thing. And I do trust my kids. I dont always agree with what they say on facebook. I also dont agree with things their friends write. I never will. But I can give my opinions.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 10:58 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I agree with what you are doing. My kids are not old enough for Facebook yet. For those that believe it is snooping I disagree, you are keeping them safe. Many teens don't even have their profiles private and are announcing where they are going, who they are with, what they are doing. Posting pics of where they go. Ummmm hello?! Why wouldn't you want to know what your child is letting the world know? And even if they have it set to private I know many teens that accept any and every friend invite they get so do they truly know everyone they "friend"? You can't get abducted writing in a journal that you keep under your bed. That stuff yes is sacred, their room is sacred, what they put out on the internet for people to see is NOT private domain so I do believe a parent has the right to have their children's passwords to email and social networking sites!
    Duckylicious

Answer by Duckylicious at 11:02 AM on Nov. 12, 2010