Do you put oil in water when you are going to make a pot of spaghetti?

I've heard that your suppose to do this buy why? Do you do it & does it help w/anything?

girliemom0406

Asked by girliemom0406 at 10:41 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Yes, it will keep the pasta from sticking together. It will also prevent the sauce from sticking to the sauce, absorbing into the noodle, or in anyway getting any flavor into it. Yes, it also helps keep the water from boiling over. So does using a large enough pot for the amount of pasta you are cooking and turning the heat down a bit.

The only thing pasta water needs is a generous helping of salt. Give the pasta a couple of good stirs in the first minute it's in the water, make sure you have a large enough pot with enough water (if it says 4-5 quarts, use 4-5 quarts. The starches get in the water and will encourage sticking) and toss the pasta with the sauce ASAP. Never rinse your pasta. Whatever starches are left on the outside of the noodle will help the sauce stick.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:57 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• yeah, it helps by not sticking together.

Answer by older at 10:43 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Yes. I put olive oil. It help with 2 things: It keeps the spaghetti from sticking together, and it also keeps the water from boiling over...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:44 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• yes I put vegetable oil in my water, it helps the spaghetti from sticking together.
    lilcutiepie2578

Answer by lilcutiepie2578 at 10:42 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I do not. My DH puts butter in his water thought... It's to help the pasta not clump together... The oil/butter coats the pasta as it's cooked so that once it's drained it doesn't stick together...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:42 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I put olive oil and a pinch of salt it helps to keep is moist but not soggy . I learn it from a older lady and it does IMO make a difference.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 10:44 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Adding a little oil also prevents the pasta from boiling over. I only add it for that reason. I immediately add a little olive oil after it drains though.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:45 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Yes it keeps it from sticking together. Or you could just wait till its done cooking then drain it and put some olive oil in it and toss it around, this is what i see allot of the professional chefs doing and it works great.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 10:45 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I do. The noodles don't stick together then.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 11:52 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• No, it keeps the sauce from mixing in with it later - the sauce will sit on top of the layer of oil on the pasta after you drain it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:43 PM on Nov. 12, 2010