What Do I Do?

We just brought our new baby home yesterday and our 4 year old has a cold. I am trying so hard to keep him away from the baby, but it's nearly impossible! He wants to hold him and kiss him and help. We've explained to him that if the baby gets sick he will get really sick and he says "okay" but I don't think he realizes that he can get sick so easily. Anyway, any advice? I really don't want our newborn to end up with RSV, but I hate to tell my 4 year old he can't help and kiss and hold his new brother at all! HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• well, you have to protect your baby and tell your 4 year old its not him, its that the baby CANNOT get sick or he get badly hurt and as soon as hes not sick, he can hold him and kiss him.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:56 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• if you are breast feeding I would not worry about it at all
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:02 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I wouldn't go nuts over it. Have your 4 year old wash his hands and try not to get face to face. I would let him hold the baby. It could cause jealousy if you don't. He's excited! Are you breast feeding? That will help.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:05 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Get one of those sterile masks and tell him he can hold the baby with it on after he washes his hands
    lovinmybaby87

Answer by lovinmybaby87 at 11:07 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My brother had this problem. Tell him to kiss the bottom of the babies feet only..that way he can kiss all he wants until he is better...what a good little brother. My son was 5 when I had my DD...he stood on a chair to look at her and sneezed all over her lol.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:34 AM on Nov. 12, 2010