Could this be a sign of high blood pressure?

I was just sitting on the couch with my kiddos this morning watching cartoons and all the sudden it felt like my heart was beating so hard it was going to come out of my chest! I found it slightly hard to take breaths for a second and then as quickly as it started it was gone again and I haven't felt it since. What in the heck could this be? I have never experiences anything like it. Sure I get out of breath and a little racy when i've been up and moving or walking alot, but never just sitting still like that. Any ideas?

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 11:07 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I do not believe you can feel high blood pressure.
    How pregnant are you?
    When pregnant, your chemical levels are all over the place. Your body actually releases a chemical to make your lungs take slower, deeper breaths since the the placenta crowds out all other organs (including your lungs). So, even when sitting, you may all of a sudden feel as though you can't breathe, and your heart starts racing, etc..
    Although this did not happen during my first pregnancy, my last one (about 6 months ago) I would feel like this ALL THE TIME!
    I would do nothing at all, just sitting, and my heart rate would go up and I couldn't breathe, it felt like someone was sitting on my chest.
    When I talked to my Dr she said it's completely normal (even early on when you're not showing, due to the chemicals being released). She suggested when it happens to relax and count to 10 taking deep breaths for each number. It worked every time!

Good Luck!
    AutumnJade412

Answer by AutumnJade412 at 11:21 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I'm sorry, I'm not intending to sound mean, but I don't think it's a good idea to scare her in saying she needs to rush to the Dr for testing or may have a problem with her heart.
    In reality, if she is in good overall health it is most likely nothing at all. When you're pregnant your body is going through all kinds of craziness. She's growing a child inside her, of coarse her lungs and other organs are being pushed around and she's going to feel out of breath every now and then!
    I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you feel there is something going on. Give your Dr a call if you're really worried about it. If not, just wait till next appt and mention it if it happens again.
    And don't worry or stress about it! That's just going to cause problems that do not exist.
    AutumnJade412

Answer by AutumnJade412 at 11:28 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Could be palpitations also. I have leaky heart valves and every so often my heart will feel like it skips, or jumps. It can make your heart race for a second. It always makes my chest feel kinda funny, and like i can't breathe for a second. It usually makes me wanna cough for some reason lol. Palpitations are usually no big deal, they can be caused by anxiety or stress, or a heart murmur. I have 3 heart valves that regurgitate that cause mine. If your concerned mention it to your dr. at your next visit.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 11:14 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I know everyone answering these has the best intentions but heart palpatations (which is what this sounds like) are common during pregnancy. Yes you should get it checked out but it doesn't mean you have a heart problem! Ive had palpatations during my pregnancy and sat in the hospital let them run tests and all was fine, it was just one of those things and nothing has come of it, it happened once and early on and hasn't really happened again. Try not to freak out, when it happens sip some water, take deep breathes. Do get it checked tho.
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 11:52 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I agree with Autumn and MeAndLo. Palpitations are very common, and while they should be checked out it's hardly a cause for an emergency today visit with the doctor. They probably will do an EKG, which will more than likely be normal. If they see or hear something you could get an echo or holtor monitor. I have 3 valve insufficiencys and still only see my cardio once every 2 years now and am on no meds. So please try not to freak out. You could limit your caffine intake, that usually helps.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 1:59 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I have the same thing, and drs have told me that it is a symptom of my panic and anxiety disorder. Have you been under a large amount of stress lately? Also, it helps to make sure you get plenty of rest and exercise. :) Good luck....also, I don't think it's a sign of high blood pressure bc my blood pressure has always been on the low side of the norm.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:09 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• High blood pressure is not usually felt. Since you're concerned, have your blood pressure checked around the sme time for about a week. Then take it to your dr.
    foxyldy

Answer by foxyldy at 9:30 AM on Nov. 13, 2010

• No stress..in fact its the opposite. We just found out my husband gets to stay back from deployment until the birth of the babies (twins) and I couldn't feel more relieved! Thanks about the blood pressure advice too...i've never had high blood pressure but there is a history of it in my family, I don't know if you can even physically FEEL that you have high blood pressure
    Ctink8189

Comment by Ctink8189 (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I get this during some of my pregnancies. I had to ware a hearth monitor for one of them. It was an irregular heart rate. But they monitored me for it.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 11:16 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• You need to go to your PMD TODAY and get a 12 lead ECG done--drink lots of water and no caffeine until you know what is up
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:19 AM on Nov. 12, 2010