What do your children know about the devil?

I have never taught my kids about the devil. I don't believe in him. My dd is 6 now but when she was three another little girl who was older than her told my dd that if she lies the devil will get her. I was horrified. My dd just looked at her and since she had no idea who the devil was she didn't get scared. I just can't believe a parents would use the devil as a way scare a child into being good.

Shaylyn318

Asked by Shaylyn318 at 11:07 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• My children know the devil is a fictitious character from a book. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:10 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• They know nothing about him. Its not a subject mentioned unless we are watching a movie. They are young(6,4,2 1/2)and have never asked or wondered about him.

If the subject is brought up they will learn he is either a bad man in a movie(if the subject comes up while watching a movie that has a devil in it) or he is considered the head bad guy by some religious groups.

If asked how their father and I view him, they will be told we believe he is a made up character and doesnt really exist.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:10 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Nothing... My DH believes in the devil - I do not. But we don't teach that kind of thing on either way... We don't do scare tactics in this house... We simply enforce the idea that if you screw up, you pay the price that comes with it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:11 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My kids know about the devil, but they weren't taught by me either.....I wouldn't be too horrified by the little girl being taught that....our mythologies have been used to teach children to behave or else have been taught forever in many different cultures...it's just part of the culture and kids usually take cultural stories in stride...you can't really protect your kids from other people's belief systems, nor can you always understand the parents of other belief systems...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• That she lives down the street... oh wait that's my mil.

prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 11:12 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Our boys don't know anything about the "devil" except that he's a fictional character. I think they would probably laugh if someone told them the devil was going to get them if they were bad,lol.... Honestly I would just laugh it off, if your child sees you react in a bad way they will think it's something to worry about, and we both know it's not..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:14 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• What the church tells them. I don't talk about the devil.
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 11:16 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• MrsLeftlane- I didn't react to it. I just got my dd away from her before she could say anything else.
    Shaylyn318

Comment by Shaylyn318 (original poster) at 11:17 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My kids came to the same conclusion I did. The devil is a great scapegoat, so people don't have to face the fact that sometimes, they just want to do wrong things more than they want to do the right ones.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:18 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Oh I don't believe in the devil either. I plan on teaching my son (almost 3, so still too young) that he is something some people believe in, but I'm also going to give him all of the different ways of understanding the devil's character within religion so that he can form his own opinion.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:20 AM on Nov. 12, 2010