really?!

my son went to the dr yesterday b/c he hadn't pooped normal in 2 weeks. he would pooped but would take him 30 min to poop a hard pea size poop. Dr said he wasnt constipated but was just ready to be potty trained but told me to try a suppository. we did last night and he pooped the biggest hardest turd ever! and even a lil more. now i have been taking him to the potty every time i see him trying to poop. he just bawls and wants off the potty. not so sure he is really read like the dr said!? i dont know?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 11:09 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Use your instincts. He is probably too young to be trained. Give him prune juice.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:11 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I would follow your child's ques, not your dr. No one knows your child and his signs better than you do. My daughter has been diagnosed with chronic constipation. He has me give her a little more juice than you normally would and lots of fibery foods. I have found that raisins and dried fruit work well. Good luck.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:11 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• He may be ready but boys look at poop as a part of them. He may hold it because he is scared. How old is he? Before 3 they are much harder to reason with. But I would lay off him and follow his signs. No cheese or milk products till he is going a little better. Juice and fruit will help loosen him up a bit.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 11:14 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Oh my gosh - what a quack! Holding poop is NOT a sign of potty-training readiness! Poor baby, up his water intake, lower his milk/dairy intake, up his fiber intake.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• what about diet? extra water --try this prunes, apple sauce, with toast for breakfast or lunch

I think potty training is a separate thing
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:17 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Dont force the issue, or else he will never want to sit on the "potty". GL
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 11:17 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Well if you had him on the toilet and he had a hard and painful turd he may associate it with the toilet as being bad. My daughter had gotten constipated as well and we did the suppository as well then she had a very uncomfortable experience on the toilet and for a good week or so after she screamed when i put her on the toilet the thing is i just had to make sure she never had another painful poop so i gave her, her apple juice each day a veggie each day that helps like corn and green beans and now she is 3 and has been potty trained a little over a year and if she has issues i give her a little of a fiber one bar and then there are no problems.
    lovinmybaby87

Answer by lovinmybaby87 at 11:17 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I would find another doctor. Unless you notice your son holding it in instead of going, it's a sign of constipation.

I agree with PP about the potty training. Painful pooping that is forced to be done on the potty will hinder the potty training when you attempt it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:30 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• How old is he? If he is not almost 3 he is most likely not ready and holding his poop because he IS constipated, and it hurts when he goes. Increase the fibre in his diet, try a little prune juice...get him more regular so you don't have him become dependent on suppositories..which can happen. If it was big and hard and he cried I don't give a rats ass what your doctor says the poor kid is constipated!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I think you shouldn't just talk to a doctor, I had that extact problem with my son, He did a couple of suppositories, but it didn't really work, finally I talked to a pharmist and he said to do a stool softner, we did for about 2 weeks or so , and then he was fine after that. Just give it a little time to wor!
    Good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 2:00 PM on Nov. 12, 2010