Moms who do NOT circumsize...I need your HELP!!

My son is 16 months old and is uncircumsized because we chose not to. He was running 104 degree temp last night so I called the doctor and he told me to take him to the ER. They decided they needed a sterile urine sample so they had to do an "in and out cath."

Well the nurse had never worked on an uncircumsized boy before. She didn't know that you can't retract the skin so she tried, didn't get it and called in another nurse. He starts lecturing me about needing to start forcibly retracting his skin and how it's best....blah, blah, blah...I've talked extenisively with my pediatrician about this and he says NEVER forcibly retract the forskin and to wait until it does so naturally.

Anyways...long story short they had a hard time getting the cath in. Now my son's penis is REALLY red and he's SCREAMING, walking around holding himself. He also hasn't peed since the did the cath.

IS THIS NORMAL? WHAT DO I DO?!?!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Poor baby!!! I am so sorry that they did that to him. I would put a cool damp tissue in his diaper to help with some of the pain and give him some tylenol or motrin and push the fluids. He will eventually pee. I hope he feels better soon.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:29 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I would take him to his pedi. They are NOT suppose to retract the forskin and they probably tore it because it wasnt ready. Poor baby I hope he feels better.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 11:30 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I can't speak for your son and I obviously don't have a penis... But I know those caths hurt like hell & peeing afterward is horrid... I would say keep an eye out for infection, but chances are it's simply irritation...

HUGS!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:30 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Oh sweetie it is probably just sore call the doc and tell him and ask what you can do, poor baby. Although you should not force it down , you should gently bring it down as far as it goes when you clean him.

Answer by older at 11:30 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• You need to take him to the pediatrician. What you describe is NOT normal. A child not urinating for an extended time after a cath is not normal either. The foreskin should never be forcibly retracted by anyone but a urologist and only under very specific circumstances.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:31 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• You are correct. They were not supposed to retract it. I would take him to his pediatrician. They may have torn something, and he may have an infection there.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:32 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Oh poor boy. Did they retract him? They do not need to in order to get a urine sample just for future reference. Your ped is right and the ER doc is why we have so many intact boys that "need" to be circed as they get older in the US. Here in the US the general population does not know how to care for intact penises. It is very normal to be red and irritated after a procedure like that. I would watch it closely and get him in to see your regular ped soon. If he doesn't pee soon I would definitely be calling your regular ped and going in to see them. I hope your little guy has a speedy recovery from all this.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:32 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Oops. Sorry. I see now that he was running the fever first, but I would still take him to the pediatrician.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:33 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Older- You actually aren't suppose to retract it at all until it naturaslly does so which usually happens between 3 and 6 years according to my doctor.

Thanks Ladies. I've called the pediatrician. I'm waiting for them to call back.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:35 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• They didn't retract but the nurse kept saying the cath was getting caught on skin folds which doesn't make sense to me because he doesn't have THAT much extra skin on the tip of his penis and you can see the hole without even moving his skin at all. I really think they did something wrong. I just want to cry. He's so miserable.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:39 AM on Nov. 12, 2010