Why so hard on c-sections?

I will be a first time mom in jan.I have no choice but to have a c-section because of medical reasons.Why is it everytime a question about c-sections are asked,c-sections get bashed and make women who have to get them feel so bad? Im starting to feel like im not even really giving birth.Ive talked alot with my doc and he says like all surgery there are risks but c-sections have low risks.I just dont get it.Alot of moms ive talked to loved there c-section and prefer it.Im just freaked out now.......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I don't think it's anything against c-sections, but that many doctors and women just elect to have them for no good reason.

I've had two. I'm a type 2 diabetic and with my son I was induced as is common in diabetics....the induction didn't progress and both of our heart rates were dropping from the epidural. He was stuck in my pelvis because and I quote "it's petite and slightly tilted. he would have never come out"

When I was pregnant with my daughter I told my OB that I just wanted to c-sec again because I didn't want to go through 15 hours of another induction to end the same way.

And I'm glad it was just a straight forward c-sec, though I did develop preeclampsia and once an amnio showed her lungs were developed it was done at 36 weeks.

But don't let anyone make you feel less of a woman or mom because you are having a c-section.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:33 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Because people like to think that they are better than you are. You need to medically, end of discussion. If any woman tried to make you feel bad about that they need to shut the hell up and move on to other things.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:30 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• The decision on how to give birth these days is up to a woman and her doctor. C-sections gets bashed because they are commonly done for unnecessary reasons - vanity, fear, etc. C-sections are major surgery and carry risks to both the mother and the baby, so the decision should not be done lightly. HOWEVER, that does not sound like your situation. You have medical reasons to have a c-section, so that's that. You are no less a woman because of it. You are still giving birth! Good luck to you and enjoy your baby!
    MidwestMama55

Answer by MidwestMama55 at 11:42 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I think if you can't give birth naturally genuinely for medical reasons then fine but I think the bad feeling comes when women chose to have a section just because they can. It is major surgery and it carries added risks when compared to vaginal birth, thats just a fact. It's a shame if you have been bashed tho for reasons out of your control, ultimately as long as mama and baby are healthy at the end then it's all worked out for the best. Good luck and don't let others ruin your pregnancy/birth experience.
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 11:48 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I had one and didn't bond with my DD like I had expected. I feel like if I had done a natural vaginal birth like I had planned then things would have been better for us. She and I didn't have a close relationship until she was about 7 mos old. She is the light of my life. I think that people who opt for c-sections instead of nature taking its course are doing harm to themselves by not experiencing birth the way it was meant to be. If it is an emergency like mine was or b/c of complications that you are having then they are good b/c they are saving 2 lives instead of making a persons delivery easier. BTW it takes longer to truly heal from a c-section than from a vaginal delivery.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:33 AM on Nov. 12, 2010