need help with son being naughty.

I dont know what to do. I Have a 2 1/2 year old that is writing on the walls and throwing bowls and breaking them. I was abused as a child and so we dont hit him. I am very sick right now . I try to put him in time out and that doesnt work. I put him in his room and he trashes it. please help,

MommyTessier

Asked by MommyTessier at 11:32 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Be consistent.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:36 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I'm sure it is a phase. Take away things like toys,t.v.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:37 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• You have to figure out what will work. Why are there writing utensils where they can be reached? Why are there breakables that can be reached? These are things that you need to look at. My 2 1/2 yo knows that when she is sent to her room she is to sit on the floor and not to touch anything. You may need to stand outside his door and correct him if he starts to destroy things. We started implementing punishment and consequences when my DD was very little around 6 mos old. I would make him help clean the walls that he has written on.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:38 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I can understand what you have went through but maybe u need to consider some other ways. Try taking him into the bathroom but you go in their with him and let him sit on the toilet and just looked at him until he calms down. Dont leave him in there alone sit in there with him until he is ready to come out. My daughter gets whoopins and I take away the things she likes to do the most....but the best thing that I came up with was the bathroom....see kids hate being in a small room where they cant run and play...so I sit in the bathroom with her until I am ready to let her and she has a different attitude.
    mom42107

Answer by mom42107 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Time out will work, but you have to make him stay even if it takes you an hour to get him to sit for 2 minutes. This has become a battle of wills and he is breaking you and knows it. Stick to your guns, keep putting him back, it will be hard the first day, but he will learn he can't break you and you mean what you say. GL
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:00 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I've learned that getting down to their eye level and talking to them in a calm yet stearn voice and telling them that what they just did was wrong and that I'm very upset with them works wonders.
    Momma72923

Answer by Momma72923 at 12:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2010