At what age would you get your daughter's ears pierced?

My son was bald until he was 20 months pretty much, and if I have a little girl I was thinking getting her ears pierced would be a great way to not have people think the baby is a boy (besides wearing a lot of pink)...I have friends who have had their girls' ears pierced before age 1...my husband doesn't favor this. Has anyone done this or what is your opinion?

JJsMoMMy519

Asked by JJsMoMMy519 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• My DD was 11 days old and a friend of mine did it. She is almost 4 and she has never had a problem with them. It's up to you.
    bratgirln1

Answer by bratgirln1 at 12:21 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• When she can take are of them herself.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:37 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• She SHE wants them done... I would never make that choice for my kids...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:38 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I would wait until about age 10. If u only want to get the pierced ears because people will know she is a girl,then I would just wear pink or dresses.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:39 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I won't have my daughters ears pierced as a baby, when she is older and if she wants them done I'll take her to get them done. Not even just the whole not putting a baby through pain, because I understand a baby won't remember it.....but growing up I had a friend who had one ear lobe look like a snakes tongue because when she was a baby it got caught on her clothes and ripped out of her ear.

So, thats my personal reasoning behind it. And well, I'd rather put cute headbands with ribbon, bows and flowers on her pretty much bald head (my daughter is 11 months old)
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:39 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• <>

LOL they will still not know. I've had my daughter in all pink, sitting in her PINK infant carrier/stroller and people call her a him or ask if she is a he or she.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• When she is old enough to ask me to have it done and she can handle taking care of them herself. That includes her being able to understand the first pair needs to stay in six weeks or longer.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:45 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I think that piercings should be approved by the owner of the body getting pierced. I'm in favor of waiting until the child has a desire to do it. In our family (3 girls), it was almost a rite of passage. I did mine at age 10, and my sister was 9, and my other sister waited until early teens. I know that some people say that they won't remember the pain, but still, they experience the pain at an age when they have no choice in the matter. When they are older, they'll choose to tolerate the "sting" in order to have the privilege of having earrings.

As far as people not being able to see immediately that she's a girl....people aren't that observant. They see a baby and they comment. I have a friend who had 2 infant foster children about 6 months apart. One was white and the other was black. When people saw them with the double stroller, they asked if they were twins, LOL! It doesn't matter what strangers say. BTW, Congrats!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:49 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My daughters ears were pierced at 3 months, I would do it, and put dainty earrings on.

Answer by older at 11:38 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• If u r going to pierce her ears then remember that they have to be cleaned with rubbing alcohol as well as the ear rings before u put them in.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:41 AM on Nov. 12, 2010