Have you ever heard of a false postive on a HPT?

When mine came out positive I went to the doctor and they never gave me a pregnancy test there they just went straight into prenatal care. I mean they did the first ultrasound but it got me thinking what if the HPT lied? I know it can say negative when it's really positive but does it ever happen the other way around?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Yes it has happened the other way around. Those tests tell you they are only so accurate and they even have a tiny clause in all of it that states the results are not accurate and should be verified at a local hospital with blood or urine sample.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 12:12 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• it's extremely rare. they are generally wrong if it's a chemical pregnancy which means the fertilized egg doesn't attach to the wall. you'd have your period later, you might count it as a miscarriage if you hadn't had any care at that point.

positives pick up on the pregnancy hormone that wouldn't be there if your body didn't think it was pregnant. the false negatives occur when the test just doesn't pick up enough of that hormone, even though it's there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• There are no false positives only false negatives. And if you peed in a cup at the dr. office then I guarantee they tested it that first time to make sure you were pregnant. They just didnt tell you they did it. They arent required to tell you they ran a pregnancy test anyway. It's standard procedure. They arent going to just take your word for it and begin treating you as pregnant without testing for themselves.  What if you were were some kind of loon who just liked to imagine they were pregnant? It happens. 

When I went to have outpatient surgery done once on my sinus, they asked me if I was pregnant. I said no. But they still had to run a preg. test before they would proceed w/ the anesthesia.  They have to cover all their basis.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I didn't pee in a cup the first day which is why I know they didn't test me. They didn't even do bloodwork until after my first ultrasound.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Maybe it's convenient for doctors to do ultrasounds so that they can bill insurance companies for it. They probably figured the ultrasound would definitely confirm pregnancy or not, so why not just go for it and maximize the profit.

Loba

Answer by Loba at 1:55 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I didn't get an ultrasound til my 20 week mark, some drs prefer to see the sac early as well as the expecting mother (i wish i had one). HPTs can be false positives....it is rare but yes it happens. Depends on you hCG levels. Some Drs may just do it that way = prefer the ultrasound before a urine or blood test....maybe ask your dr why they do it that way?
    itsaboy1208

Answer by itsaboy1208 at 3:45 AM on Nov. 3, 2008