Spin off- Should your child be afraid of you?

Yes. A child needs to know who is boss and who is in charge. Too many children do not even know that you are the parent. And you let them get away with it. Do you know how irresponsible you are being? It's your job to raise a child with respect, discipline and control. Are you doing that? Not if you don't take control. And spanking is NOT abuse. I can't stand for people to ask what can I do for this kid- he's not behaving... Oh, and we don't spank or hit because I was abused... That's a cop out and are you not being lazy in your parenting skills?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• No, a child should never be afraid of their parent. However they should understand that when rules are broken there are consequences... Teaching responsibility comes in all forms and it doesn't have to be because they fear their parents. My children FAR from fear me, but they know when I say something, I mean it... They also know that I will always love and respect them, and I treat them as if they were people... Do I spank? Yep. Is it my first line of discipline? Nope. Why? Because it doesn't have to be, other things work just as well in some cases. Choices have consequences, and teaching that is the entire point of discipline, but just like physical punishment CAN become abuse, discipline CAN be any number of things... What matter is that children learn that the parents are in charge & that when they make choices they have to live with what comes with them...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:57 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• A child should NEVER be afraid of hir parents.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:51 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Respect is not the same as fear. If anything, fear breeds disrespect. There's nothing wrong with spanking, but if your intent with the spanking is to instill fear, not to discipline, you're doing it wrong.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:00 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• No. I raised three rsponsible qnd ambitious and respectful adults who were NOT araid of me. They knew I was n charge and the were not afraid. I didn't spank for every little reason or to get them to respect and obey......only in the rare instance when they would do somethng dangerous or harmful to themselves or others would I spank ....when kids are little ,they are clueless and explanations don't work. But they were never victims of my anger.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Being a bully to your child will not make them respect you. I agree with some parents can be lazy, but when you make your children afraid you that is just ignorance and that's you being lazy. Do you respect people that you are afraid of? Just my view no personal bashj
    aitson

Answer by aitson at 12:09 PM on Nov. 12, 2010