Christian Exodus from Middle East Continues

Why is media not talking about this?
Iraq's Christian community is close to extinction as thousands are forced to flee their traditional strongholds in Baghdad.

An exodus of Christians is under way in the southern district of Dora after groups affiliated to al-Qa'eda issued a threat of "convert or be killed."

http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/world-mainmenu-26/asia-mainmenu-33/5033-christian-exodus-from-middle-east-continues

gammie

Asked by gammie at 11:49 AM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• They've done that to conquered peoples for centuries... why is it ironic??

Yes, Christians have - that's how Europeans became Christian in the first place.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:31 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• well i dont see why it should be covered by American news stations. i dont like it, i wish that everyone had religious freedoms like we have here...but the sad truth is they dont. if i was in a country that hated my religion and those in power were telling me "convert or die" i would be moving too. it seems like the intelligent thing to do.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:54 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 12:10 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Why isn't the media covering this? Because of the word Christian. Do you watch the Fox New Channel? They cover those stories...
    kristinashley24

Answer by kristinashley24 at 12:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I agree with NP - it was common practice to issue the "convert or die" command within Christianity, but generally speaking, at least in traditional Islamic communities, the peoples were allowed to retain their religious autonomy and affiliations. Look at the Golden Age of Spain, where Christians, Muslims, and Jews lived and thrived together under Muslim rule....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:36 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• NP- Not in the beginning. Early Christians were fed to the lions for entertainment in Roman coliseums. The gospel spread through love and testimonies (that's why it was so threatening to them), it wasn't until much later when very bad men with a lot of wealth and power started to get involved that it became convert or die. 

I personally believe that anyone who kills in God's name because they dare to say they speak for Him, no longer has His support. Look at history... their pride always brings them down in flames.

brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 12:40 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Unfortunately "convert or be killed" IS a teaching in Quaran.

And I"m sure you'll be happy to provide the full, in-context quote from the Quran to back that up, right? From a legitimate non-biased site, please, not from a Christian site.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:31 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• "Unfortunately "convert or be killed" IS a teaching in Quaran. "

No, its not. They even quote "There is no compulsion in religion" (from the Quran) to show how they don't believe in forced conversions.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:37 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• To answer the Quran question. see Surah 9:5; Surah 5:33; Surah 5:51. I'm not a Quran scholar but thought I'd put them there for those who asked. Anyway, it's unfortunate what is happening to the Christians and Jews in the Middle East. I continue to pray for them. We are lucky to live in a country of religious freedom and I thank God for that.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 2:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• This has wider and darker ramifications than just Christians enduring the hardship of finding a different country to move to and having to re-establish their lives and survival in a new place.

Imagine if the Ku Klux Klan succeeded in driving all blacks out of the country. After that, their lies about black people would be more easily believed by the population because there would be no reality check to refute their outrageous claims and smears.

And if Ku Klux Klan leaders whipped up enmity, they could manipulate people to taking actions against a neighboring "black"country which the people would otherwise oppose if they weren't brainwashed.

I think that offers a pretty close analogy to what has been going on since Wahabism emerged with massive funding out of Saudi Arabia.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:05 PM on Nov. 12, 2010