How do you distract your baby when trying to change his clothes or diaper?

My baby is almost 10 month old and he gets super fussy when I change his clothes and his diaper. He's ready to go play, not to sit and wait for his diaper to be changed and put clothes on. He's not interested in his toys for very long at all. How did you deal with this? Should I sing him songs? Please be specific with your answers, if you used a toy, tell me which one, if you sang songs, which song did you sing? How did you distract your baby while trying to change him?

MommyBird388

Asked by MommyBird388 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do whatever it takes. My daughter liked to hold a wipe. My boys it was like alligator wrestling. Do it as quick as possible. Grab them and change them wherever they are.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:05 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Sings songs.
    Hang a mobile above his changing table.
    Play tickle games.
    Give him a rattle or another handheld toy to play with.
    Attach a musical toy to his changing table.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:06 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• What works for us is different every day. Sometimes it's a toy, sometimes a spare diaper or wipe, counting the snaps and buttons as I do them, twinkle star...just keep trying different things and switch it up.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:06 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Pretty much any toy usually distracts him. Or I give him my phone or the remote. I try to unbutton, unzip, unstrap as much clothing as possible before I lay him down. I also have the diaper already layed out and a wipe ready.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:07 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• have everything prepared before changing and sing the alphabet song,or make up parodies to songs you listen too. G/L
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 12:07 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Get a really super busy, prefferably noise toy, used ONLY when changing.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:07 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Mine does it too, sometimes I just deal with it. He's not really fussy expect when he's awakened by a wet or poopy diaper, he doesn't like that at all.
    But, I change it up I sing to him, talk to him, play with him. I also have a couple of small toys to keep him busy, and for the most part it works. Their no perfect toy. I would just try stuff that makes noise, lights up.
    Theirs one toy he can't get enough of that I want to share though, his grandparents got it for him. Its a talking cookie monstor, he opens his mouth and said different things.
    He absoutely loves it!!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 12:10 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Talking through the whole process, naming each limb, item, and step.
    J-M

Answer by J-M at 12:16 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Once they could stand supported I often changed my son while standing and playing with something on the couch or table or whatever he was using to stand up. With my daughter I found she liked to play with the wooden spoon from the kitchen and she ONLY got it when I went to change her diaper.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:16 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My kids had "Diaper Friend". This was a little cylindrical figure they could hold in one hand, and I could sterilize easily. I would ask questions about Diaper Friend, or ask if they could hear him laughing, whatever I could think of to get them to pay more attention to him than their diaper being changed. It usually worked for my son, but only sometimes for my daughter.

My daughter learned to talk early, so usually I could distract her with simple questions about her changing process that she could answer, like: Is this a pretty top? Can you say Pretty? Oooo, look at the pretty dots on your sock...Can you say dots?

Usually, with lots of opportunity for success in repeating a word, followed my lots of praise for that success, she would get through her dressing or changing with little fuss.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 12:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2010